Strange Page Linking Structure

DaveGears86

I have come across a website which has a strange linking structure (or, atleast it's strange to me).

The home page links to folders instead of .html or .php extensions (e.g. - "http://www.example.com/about") and inside this "about" folder is a "index.php" file which is the "About" webpage (this is the same folder/index.php structure for all the other pages on the site, even "home") - I understand how this works, because index.php is default in each folder. But the next part is where I get very confused -

If I create "newpage.php" and put this into the "home" folder (so that the "home" folder now contains two files = "index.php" and "newpage.php"). And then if I create a new link on the "index.php" page linking to "newpage.php" and then test the link, newpage.php doesn't display, instead I get taken to the index.php (always of "home" folder)

Does anybody know what is at work here? I just want to revert this back to a simple structure where all the pages (.htm/.php) are in the same directory and not segregated by their own personal folders.

Thanks

Attachments

• structure.jpg
    structure.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 10
also, this is what is contained in the htaccess file -
RewriteEngine On

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d

RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php?/$1 [E=HTTP_AUTHORIZATION:%{HTTP:Authorization},L]

I'm some what sure that this has something to do with the problem but I'm overwhelmed with options of what could be wrong!

Probably a stupid question but are you putting the correct path to the page? /home/newpage.php ... i.e not just /newpage.php

Thanks for replying Boss,

Yup, I've checked multiple times that the path is correct and have also deleted the link and started over countless times (I've even linked it by selecting the file rather than hand typing the path/filename).

It's amazing how something simple is not working the way it should.

However, The site is partly CMS based (new pages have to be created from a control panel/cms interface by logging in through the site), maybe this is having an effect on traditional links I'm trying to create. (I have used the cms to make new pages but it creates a new folder and then an index.php inside of that folder, which is exactly what I'm trying to eradicate.

Back