Something about dribbble.

nayan

I have been for some time in dribbble,and after spending some time there.I kindof feel like the platform is turning towards the ui/ux designs much much more than other fields like illustrators etc.Is it ending there for other fields?
So what do you guys think?

Paul Murray

Ultimate Member
I do notice a lot of web/UI stuff in the 'Popular' section, but my 'Following' category is full of all manner of design and illustration. I don't really follow many 'UX' designers on there because it's clear to me many of them don't understand the first thing about interface design, they're just following visual trends.

nayan

I do notice a lot of web/UI stuff in the 'Popular' section, but my 'Following' category is full of all manner of design and illustration. I don't really follow many 'UX' designers on there because it's clear to me many of them don't understand the first thing about interface design, they're just following visual trends.
This question arose in my mind,after a discussion with some GD friends who are not from the UI/UX field and are from other field in GD.
Many of them have started to deviate priority towards behance.

Paul Murray

Ultimate Member
Ironically Behcance used to be a 'by invite only' platform, though in reality all you needed to do was request an invite directly. I quickly got annoyed with all the "check out my work" comment spam on there though. Personally I don't care much for 'showcasing' my work. I have a portfolio website and clients that are happy to direct contacts to me. I'm not really bothered about gratification from the design community. I will sometimes peruse the work there though. It's a very mixed bag to be honest.

nayan

The invite only thing in dribbble is also getting kind of ripped off by the users as some people who got their by chance have started to even sell those invites and not even in one or two quantity in bulk numbers,Also their they are i guess running boths for doing like,and follows.And real artists are struggling to get their work shown on the internet.

AysheaS

I got my invite to dribbble by searching for invites and then sending some work to the person offering the invite. A competition basically, although I don't if there was much competition - I could have got the invite because no one else sent work to them. It wasn't difficult to get an invite, I got one from the first person I sent work to (I'd sent work to two).

The idea of getting the best work on there by only allowing invited people is one thing but how well that works I don't know. Although I cant say I ever seen any particulary bad work.

I follow a few illustrators but I agree theres a lot ui/ux. But personally I prefer Dribbble to Behance - just find the layout, user experience a lot smoother.

nayan

I got my invite to dribbble by searching for invites and then sending some work to the person offering the invite. A competition basically, although I don't if there was much competition - I could have got the invite because no one else sent work to them. It wasn't difficult to get an invite, I got one from the first person I sent work to (I'd sent work to two).

The idea of getting the best work on there by only allowing invited people is one thing but how well that works I don't know. Although I cant say I ever seen any particulary bad work.

I follow a few illustrators but I agree theres a lot ui/ux. But personally I prefer Dribbble to Behance - just find the layout, user experience a lot smoother.
I once signed up their and then left it for few days in behance and then in those few days they banned behance in my place,idk why (i think gov thought it was taking too much info from people's view history) but now since once month or so its open again in my place.Since then i have been scrolling down it too.Like dribbble :D

scotty

Staff member
Come to think of it, I do seem to notice a lot more UI and UX stuff on there but it's more of a thing now.

I got an invite years ago, not long after it started.
I'm not a big user of Dribbble but I've used it more in recent times and I think the invite system is good to a certain extent.

I was in a discussion a while back with other Designers and a lot were calling it "an elitist platform for Designers to massage their egos".
Usually by people who weren't on there. ;)

I've also been on Behance since near the beginning and I've noticed a change in that since it became a lot easier to get on there.
Some time ago someone came on here showing their Behance profile saying about the number of followers and likes they had (in the millions) and it was obviously bogus.
Their work was pretty mediocre and much of it was ripped from from other Designers as I recall.
When things get like that you start to lose confidence in what you're seeing on there.
It used to seem a lot more honest in my opinion.

nayan

Come to think of it, I do seem to notice a lot more UI and UX stuff on there but it's more of a thing now.

I got an invite years ago, not long after it started.
I'm not a big user of Dribbble but I've used it more in recent times and I think the invite system is good to a certain extent.

I was in a discussion a while back with other Designers and a lot were calling it "an elitist platform for Designers to massage their egos".
Usually by people who weren't on there. ;)

I've also been on Behance since near the beginning and I've noticed a change in that since it became a lot easier to get on there.
Some time ago someone came on here showing their Behance profile saying about the number of followers and likes they had (in the millions) and it was obviously bogus.
Their work was pretty mediocre and much of it was ripped from from other Designers as I recall.
When things get like that you start to lose confidence in what you're seeing on there.
It used to seem a lot more honest in my opinion.
"an elitist platform for Designers to massage their egos".The people saying that should understand that they have earned it.
But not now a days in dribbble,I even sometimes see some random photoshop editing in the recent page.This kind of things really do disappoint,but what can we do.
People say if people stay together they can live longer,But in the past 3 to 4 months i have seen some big "artists" in the name of challenges.

Last edited by a moderator:

scotty

Staff member
In my understanding, Dribbble's point was to give a snapshot (shot) of what people were working on.
I tended to feel like I was side stepping it a bit by putting completed work on there but that's pretty much what everyone else does.

But in the past 3 to 4 months i have seen some big "artists" in the name of challenges.

How do you mean?
Do you have an example?

nayan

In my understanding, Dribbble's point was to give a snapshot (shot) of what people were working on.
I tended to feel like I was side stepping it a bit by putting completed work on there but that's pretty much what everyone else does.

How do you mean?
Do you have an example?
Like search on youtube about a challege their like "Giving artists money to finish my work"
Their in some of the videos they paid like 25$ for a unbelievable illustration and then they paid like 100$ and 125$ etc to other artists to complete it.
and the quality kind of become unsatisfying for the youtuber as the money rose..What are they trying to portray here?
But i kind of thought are they sponsored?

scotty

Staff member
Hmmm? I'll check that out now Nayan.

From what you say it would be initiating something like this to try and add some sort of validity to their platform. :(

nayan

Hmmm? I'll check that out now Nayan.

From what would be initiating something like this to try and add some sort of validity to their platform. :(
Their is no doubt that they do,and they do it in the blackhat ways.Like influencing people by thehelp of some people who have respect in the industry or some influence in the industry without letting people know that its sponsored.Also the user are fake too,most of the people there are taking the projects from people in and then making some other artist do it.And they rank cause of the fake reviews they buy.Their are people easily buying and selling fake reviews,Accounts in bulk even of upwork which have stopped receiving more accounts(idk how they do that),etc.

fisicx

UX/UI is very lucrative. Almost all casual browsing is now done on phones and tablets which means graphical elements are often hidden or too small to have any value.

People scroll rapidly looking looking for things that catch their eye. So very simple layouts work much better. The problem is many designers and developers work with big screens and regard the responsive element to be secondary. The good people have a mobile first approach. And mobile first means building fast and easy to use sites. Hence the increase in UX/UI ‘experts’. Most of whom aren’t.

scotty

Staff member
I guess Dribbble is just showing an indication of current trends.
Not in the sense that UI and UX are a trend but the way that people jump on things that are in at the time or considered lucrative.

Paul Murray

Ultimate Member
UX/UI is very lucrative. Almost all casual browsing is now done on phones and tablets which means graphical elements are often hidden or too small to have any value.

People scroll rapidly looking looking for things that catch their eye. So very simple layouts work much better. The problem is many designers and developers work with big screens and regard the responsive element to be secondary. The good people have a mobile first approach. And mobile first means building fast and easy to use sites. Hence the increase in UX/UI ‘experts’. Most of whom aren’t.

That's what I was thinking, UX/UI is a bit of a buzzword at the minute so many people are 'rebranding' themselves to UX/UI designers.

fisicx

That's what I was thinking, UX/UI is a bit of a buzzword at the minute so many people are 'rebranding' themselves to UX/UI designers.
Indeed, many without a clue as to what it means and how to do it. A bit like all those social media marketing experts whose expertise was limited to posting on Facebook.

Paul Murray

Ultimate Member
Indeed, many without a clue as to what it means and how to do it. A bit like all those social media marketing experts whose expertise was limited to posting on Facebook.

I met with a digital marketing 'expert' a while back, she was adamant that I should be using social media to find new clients. She drew an intricate diagram of how you can target demographics and retarget and retarget until they finally convert. Yeah, if I was selling products to a certain demographic I would, but then I'd just use adverts to actually get seen. I've been doing this long enough to know that social media is pretty much a waste of time for the majority of B2B companies, 'organic' social media discovery is pretty much dead unless you already have a huge following. But you just can't tell some people, they'll claim you're not doing it right or just not spending enough time or money on it, or you should be paying them to do it, yada yada.

My existing contacts have always been the best source of work and new clients for me and in a competative field like design, I think that will always remain the case.