So you think you're good at CSS?

SmileyShocked.png

I can use a spanner to bang in a nail. Is that pushing the envelope? (Ok that's a bit flippant, but you understand my point. If you're building a website, use the correct tools for the job. Why would you try and create complicated graphics in such a roundabout way?

I understand what your trying to say and I also agree.

However, I think many people struggle to understand CSS and it's uses past simply changing text colour and making boxes.
It's a very good representation of what is possible given the skill/time to do so.

Also, that css layout of homers head will render twice as fast as any image you put on the site.

I think you need to view this as a work of art rather than an application of code.

However, I think many people struggle to understand CSS and it's uses past simply changing text colour and making boxes.
It's a very good representation of what is possible given the skill/time to do so.

That bit makes sense. I was just playing devil's advocate really. I have a bit of a problem with Smashing etc putting up lists of stuff like this for everyone to blindly copy without any thought as to why, or whether it's the right thing to do. There are a lot of web sheep out there at the minute congratulating each other on their latest bit of code.

amen!

The sheep probably dont get the exercise either.......or maybe IM reading too much into it all xD

hehe I think you're both right.

That post in particular was a contest to see what people can do with the code in an experimental way. Not a guide on how to use CSS3 correctly. If there were no experiments in the world, we'd learn very little.

There are certain things - no matter how pretty a graph Illustrator could make, it can't make it read in data dynamically, animate the transitions between data sets, and output it to a web page all without you doing anything after set-up.

I think that as longs people take CSS3 in context and use it mainly for progressive enhancement, then the world will be a shiny, happy place :)

hehe I think you're both right.

That post in particular was a contest to see what people can do with the code in an experimental way. Not a guide on how to use CSS3 correctly. If there were no experiments in the world, we'd learn very little.

There are certain things - no matter how pretty a graph Illustrator could make, it can't make it read in data dynamically, animate the transitions between data sets, and output it to a web page all without you doing anything after set-up.

I think that as longs people take CSS3 in context and use it mainly for progressive enhancement, then the world will be a shiny, happy place :)

Oh, now you've gone and been all reasonable and made me agree with you...

:icon_wink:

Back