Setting up a small studio for 4-5 people

Tphill

Hello everyone,
I am a first year architecture student, my current project is a live/work terraced property. I have been given a graphic design studio as my first floor business. The footprint of my build is 13mx4.5m (so quite small) I was thinking of making it around four people strong and wanted to know if anyone knew of the needs of a studio of that size? Furniture, drawing boards, admin, client space etc as I have struggled to find detailed information online.
I have begun designing an external envelope but my internal space would also impact on the requirements of light levels in a given area so any input would be greatly appreciated to proceed in my development.
Thanks.
Tom

Hello everyone,
I am a first year architecture student, my current project is a live/work terraced property. I have been given a graphic design studio as my first floor business. The footprint of my build is 13mx4.5m (so quite small) I was thinking of making it around four people strong and wanted to know if anyone knew of the needs of a studio of that size? Furniture, drawing boards, admin, client space etc as I have struggled to find detailed information online.
I have begun designing an external envelope but my internal space would also impact on the requirements of light levels in a given area so any input would be greatly appreciated to proceed in my development.
Thanks.
Tom

For that size company I would say the following are definite:

• Desk space for all members of staff
• Space for printers (ideally small black and white and large colour laser)
• Lots of plug sockets for all the equipment
• Phone sockets/extensions for all desks
• Toilet
• Area to make a brew - very important

These would be nice (depending on space)

• Meeting table
• Area for cutting mat

As for light levels - the more natural light the better in my opinion.

I hope that helps you.

Back