Self Branding

TheNoone

I've always thought of self branding as the hardest task
as a student and as a freelance designer for ages I have been working
under the name Loop 88, and over the last week have decided it isn't me
what so ever!

So after loads of brainstorming, problem solving etc and i'm sure you will all
agree, as a designer you all consider you as original!

My name is Kyle Noone, and I also see myself as original.

That's where I solved the problem, why have a name like Kyle Noone design?

I have always been plagued with people saying. is your second name No-one? Jokes on me :icon_tongue_smilie:
So i figure why not use what I have in what iv'e been told a clever/witty way.

So,
Lyke No One

emphasis on, design like no one, originality. I've put the name so some really good designers explaining
the name etc, I've had really good feedback from everyone so far.
What do you guys think?

Cheers
No-One :icon_notworthy:

I think the problem I have with it is that a) you have to explain it, and b) with the misspelling, at face value, it looks a bit awkward: you basically have to be aware of the name you don't want to trade under for the trick to be revealed.

I 100% see where you're coming from, I have problem solved the logo so an explanation isn't needed
I think it shows creative thinking and it's something a bit different.

My thoughts being, the logo on the front of a card, turned round with my details.
Kyle Noone, immediately pops out, and the reader thinking, "Oh, now I get it"

I don't want to be perceived as a collective as i'm not, and i think different names
do work,

Like Nubby Twiglet! That makes no sense really, I think as long as its backed up with the
work it has potential to work!

Fair argument?

I guess, although:

1. I don't think 'Nubby Twiglet' has any other related meaning so is basically self-evident.
2. Pretty much any non-offensive name will fly as long as it's backed up with the work.

I see why you like it as it's an anagram with meaning that relates to what you do but I personally dislike the mis-spelling of 'like' and I think that 'like no one' is a less familiar take on 'like no other' so, for me, it doesn't have an authentic ring. Mis-spellings also have their own set of problems when used in trading names.

In the end, you've got to go with something that you're happy with but I'd relegate 'Lyke No One' to a possible strapline rather than put it at the front..

I personally get a negative feel when you say lyke noone. Many people may think they would rather hire someone then no one if that makes sense.

BOLLO**S!

Back to the drawing board!
I really wanted to avoid going the easy way by using just my name!

Time for some more creative thinking!

BOLLO**S!

I know what that full word is surprisingly. Never said here in Canada but is it considered a profanity in the UK just like F**K is here?

How about a third party - looking in from the outside. You work on their ID, they yours!

Could be a job for the skills swap section...?!?

Last edited:
That's a good idea, but I don't think i'd be 100% comfortable
If i didn't do it all myself!
That's just the way I am!

Really advisable to a) Google these things before taking them any further, and b) say them out loud.

What's wrong with just using your name?
You're given it for a reason I guess?

I slaved over this thing for a while. Debating brand names/identities for myself etc.
Decided that my own name was by far the most effective.

What's wrong with just using your name?
You're given it for a reason I guess?

I slaved over this thing for a while. Debating brand names/identities for myself etc.
Decided that my own name was by far the most effective.

I guess that's two of us Tony! I've decided to go with my name,
I've just never like my own name too much for some reason.

When you think of a name like "David Airey" it has a certain ring to it,
But anyway, the name it is!

Have you tested the concepts on clients (and more importantly - due to independence - prospective clients)?

What was the feedback?

Back