Review my new logo plz

I agree with a lot of what people have said but I personally can't see what is wrong in using a wing for a logo IF you employ it well. It has connections to your background and can have some sort of strapline about creativity soaring blah blah kind of thing.

That said do go back to the drawing board and have a thunk :icon_thumbup:

have a look through some of these and see what these people have come up with, they aren't all necessarily good but you'll see it in practice wing logo - Google Search

Thank you for your comment, you are right and I need to go back and have a look at the wing again, also I am trying to draw something better on the paper but no success so far. Anyway, many many thanks for all your comments, I learnt a lot from this thread and you people. Anyway I'll upload when I designed something.

TNX again,
Danial

Hello again,
I have designed a new logo based on the wing design and would say that it is what I feel good about. (didn't have this feeling for the previous ones). Please have a look and let me know what you think.

I haven't decided about the colour yet and chose some random ones, also I tried it in small sizes and it seems it's working and is visible, just I need to increase the gaps between some letters. Anyway feel free for any comment, idea and suggestion. TNX

Attachments

• mersadesigndatcom.jpg
    mersadesigndatcom.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 21
??

djdany,

If i am being completely honest, i don't like it. The colours aside it is very hard to read and the smallest version is definitely not legible. Plus it still does not answer the questions previously set,

What does this brand offer?
What are you all about?

If you can explain the wings and what their significance in the design, we may be able to move this design on.

Last edited:
I don't like it either (looks like some kind of word jumble or puzzle) but I don't subscribe to the idea that you need to have a brand-focused rationale for using wings in your logo.

Thanks for your comments, I forgot to say that the letters in an order, make may name, but I know it looks complicated, and I decided to have another name in my logo. Anyway the reason that I used the wing, because I created it from a historical sculpture and for some cultures is it a symbol of art.
TNX again

i agree with the posts above the type is very illegible its hard to follow where the next letter is, also having the wing and type the same colour doesnt really work because it melts into one flat image/block of colour (for lack of a better term)

djdany,

.... Plus it still does not answer the questions previously set,

What does this brand offer?
What are you all about?

If you can explain the wings and what their significance in the design, we may be able to move this design on.

Hang on. Since when was it written in stone that a logo CLEARLY depicts what you're about? I mean let's take Pepsi, what does a psuedo red&blue tennis ball have to do with a fizzy drink? I'm a Spotty Penguin, what's that got to do with graphic design? Answer: feck all but people remember it (and I like penguins).

I think it is more important to have a logo that has some sort of resonance with you rather than using something that you have to over think to make fit.

Anyway back to the logo in question, it's good that you are examing and exploring the concept but I am afraid that just doesn't work... hard to read at a reasonable size, impossible when it is reduced. The thing is YOU can read it perfectly because you know what you are trying to get across in your head. Not so easy for us outsiders.

Keep at it :icon_thumbup:

Hang on. Since when was it written in stone that a logo CLEARLY depicts what you're about? I mean let's take Pepsi, what does a psuedo red&blue tennis ball have to do with a fizzy drink? I'm a Spotty Penguin, what's that got to do with graphic design? Answer: feck all but people remember it (and I like penguins).

I take your point but Pepsi, the example you used, started with a completely different logo in 1898. It simply said 'Pepsi Cola', almost a carbon copy of the 'Coca Cola' logo used now. That logo put out the message. It was a soft drink for the masses. It wasn't until 1962 that they changed it to what it resembles now. They were already recognised as a soft drink.

My point is that you have to establish yourself as a brand before you can go down this route. It takes YEARS. The logo he is using may mean something to him but it has no meaning to anyone else so you have to take things slowly until people know who you are. When Pepsi started I would have bought one if I was thirsty because I recognise the product instantly. That then changed with the times. However, I wouldn't automatically presume he was a graphic designer.

TNX for all previous posts, I am agree that the letters in the last logo were unclear and it was nice for me which I know the order of reading, so I decided to use the first letter of my name and my family name (D.S).
I am completely happy with the outcome and think I could reach the standards, so please have a look at it and let me know your comments, also I really like to know your idea about the colour.

Is using gradient a good idea?

Many TNX

Attachments

• mersadesigndatcom2.jpg
    mersadesigndatcom2.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 17
I take your point but Pepsi, the example you used, started with a completely different logo in 1898. It simply said 'Pepsi Cola', almost a carbon copy of the 'Coca Cola' logo used now. That logo put out the message. It was a soft drink for the masses. It wasn't until 1962 that they changed it to what it resembles now. They were already recognised as a soft drink.

My point is that you have to establish yourself as a brand before you can go down this route. It takes YEARS. The logo he is using may mean something to him but it has no meaning to anyone else so you have to take things slowly until people know who you are. When Pepsi started I would have bought one if I was thirsty because I recognise the product instantly. That then changed with the times. However, I wouldn't automatically presume he was a graphic designer.

I'm not entirely disagreeing with you and I agreed that his latest mock up didn't work BUT what you are talking about is brand recognition which has been achieved via aggresive marketing. Consider the majority of "household" names, their logos have diddley squat to do with their business (Shell, Ladbrokes, Kellogs etc.) BUT they do saturate their markets and have heavily funded campaigns that ensure we have seen their name/logo ad finitum.

If you are saying your logo must depict exactly what you do when you are new then surely we should all go about with Adobe feathers / red A's?

It's not all about your logo doing the work; marketing and generating brand awareness is the key no matter what your logo. Although obviously it still has to be a decent design no matter its form.

TNX for all previous posts, I am agree that the letters in the last logo were unclear and it was nice for me which I know the order of reading, so I decided to use the first letter of my name and my family name (D.S).
I am completely happy with the outcome and think I could reach the standards, so please have a look at it and let me know your comments, also I really like to know your idea about the colour.

Many TNX

To be honest I still don't think you are quite there. It is an improvement on the last one but it's still not "grabbing me". Some of the lines are a bit off; doesn't look of a professional standard to me. I am sorry to be harsh but better to be realistic.

I'm not a great fan of the red colour and I would avoid a gradient BUT you say you are completely happy with it so that's what counts I suppose.

Consider the majority of "household" names, their logos have diddley squat to do with their business (Shell, Ladbrokes, Kellogs etc.)

I've used the examples you gave and listed them below.

The word “Shell” first appeared in 1891 as the trademark for the kerosene that Marcus Samuel and Company shipped to the Far East. The small London business dealt originally in antiques and oriental seashells.

In 1886 Schwind and Pennington went into partnership as commission agents, their principal objective being to back horses trained by the former at Ladbroke Hall in Worcestershire.

Kelloggs was a family name and if you look through their history and the accompanying logos, the brand name was always coupled with 'toasted corn flakes'.

It goes to prove that brands evolve. They are seen by many over years and if they decide to branch out into other things when established it doesn't matter anyway, because people already know who they are. If Nike suddenly started selling cars people would still know who they are with no explanation needed, but it wouldn't have happened until they were established.

My point is that there is ALWAYS a reason why a company is called what it is. There is always a link. Assuming someone knows who you are and what you do at such an early stage is risky because you could be missing out on work you would have otherwise had. If you use a family name then I believe you need to let people know what you do. If you don't tell people then they could be going elsewhere. You just have to be clever with how you do it, and thats our job as designers.

Dude I'm not disagreeing with you.

I am simply saying that brand evolvement / public awareness and so on comes about with large scale marketing. So, yes, you can start with any name and logo - it's what you do with it that counts.

Listen its just our opinions, I'm not worried if you agree because we're entitled to them.

The problem I see here is that when you say it's what you do with the logo, you're comparing what he is able to do against multi billion pounds corporations. He will not be able to market himself on that scale, most of us never will, so his chance of putting the word out to say he is a graphic designer with a completely disassociated logo are pretty slim.

I just believe that if you are going to market yourself, especially as an unknown start-up, you have to make clear what you are selling, at least at the outset. If you lined his logo up against ten other design firms I would never guess what it is he is selling and look straight past him.

Thats why I strongly believe that you MUST have some indication what you are about. If in 12 months time, he is making buckets of money and has a steady client base, great! But until then he has to say 'This is me, this is what I do', because as we are all aware you don't get long to make a first impression.

Many TNX

Right then, back to the logo! I think for the lettering to work within the wing it would need to look more like the structure of the wing, not just some letters squeezed in that space. There is definitely more to be explored here, I think you could take your wing graphic back to paper and start playing with the appearance of that, as at the moment we keep seeing the same wing with different text jut squeezed in there where you can - both need to evolve together.

Hello again,
I am back with a few more logos, with I have a good feeling about them. In fact, I am just thinking to have my logo with my name's initials, and I think having an icon on the logo is suitable for companies.
So anyway I got a few more logos which I would ask you to have a look and let me know what you expert people think about them and which one has a look professional ?

TNX:icon_thumbup:

Attachments

• logo ds all.jpg
    logo ds all.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 16
Number 4 is my favourite but I'd lose the 'Danial Sabagh" bit beneath it for now and just focus on developing the main icon. I'd play around with moving the characters up so that you lose the corners of the rounded rectangle, but retain the bit in the middle (I hope you can understand that :icon_smile:).

I'm not sure about those dots by the 'S' either, maybe increase their size to match the weight of the 'S' or get rid of them altogether.

Dave, you can't compare the Detroit Redwings' logo with this one. You would expect a wing to be in a logo with that name.

I agree with what most have said, it appears to me that you've seen these wings and have decided to use it as a logo. Not the other way round.

For me, the logo must tell the person looking a it, what they are. It's the first sign/symbol/bit a person sees. I'm not saying you need to have an image of a mac, or a pencil, but they need to see what you do. Unless of course your company name is for example, Redwing Design, then, having a wing in your logo wouldn't be a problem.

On the subject of colour, always, always, always work in black and white first. If it works in black and white, it will work in colour. Using colours first only detracts from the shape/layout of the logo, when both are as important as eachother.

Back