Recommended Mac Software

VMware Fusion is handy if for some reason you need to run Windows alongside OS X on your mac, in it's own, ahem, window. Though the only genuine use I've had for it so far is so I could have a nostalgic blast on Theme Hospital, haha.

Also, Handbrake is great for "backing-up" your DVDs. And it's free.

Without a doubt Carbon Copy Cloner is THE software that HAS to be in your app folder, it automates all your back up needs and it's FREE!

Saved my bacon on numerous occassions when systems have died, just restart from your cloned backup and away you go in minutes

i've been working with Coda for the last ... cant even remember

but it's actually incredible.

Continuing the Final Cut conversation; that £800 price tag is for the whole studio, which includes Final Cut, Soundtrack Pro, Compressor (video encoding/transcoding), DVD Studio Pro and Motion (Apple's lame equivalent of Adobe After Effects), so it's actually very good value. As someone mentioned, it covers everything you need from encoding the footage right through to making a disk.

I've never used Premier, mainly because no one else does. I've never once come across an editor who doesn't use Final Cut or Avid. Final Cut just works, it's very easy to use and everyone else uses it, which makes it much more efficient in terms of project workflow.

Moobiz

CRM, To-dos, Cost documents, Invoices, Accounting, Timesheets, Mileage tracking, even a website or ecommerce site. From £15/month

You can't sniff at that!

Droplr • Hello

Very handy widget-like tool. Allows you to upload anything to their server with a simple keystroke or by dragging it and then copying a short URL to your clipboard. You can manage your uploads later on through their site.

I know a few of these will have been posted but here are some I recommend...

Tweetie (for Mac) - Twitter app - Free (ad-supported) or $19.95
Coda - text editing software - $99
MAMP - Local server environment - Free (Pro: £39)
Things - Task management - £44.95
MindNode - Mind Mapping software - Free (Pro: £24.95)
Fluid - Turns websites into Mac desktop applications - Free
CloudApp - File Storage - Free
Transmit - FTP Software - $34

Expresso for me all day long, great application with everything needed, light at the same time too which is great...

glenwheeler said:
Expresso for me all day long, great application with everything needed, light at the same time too which is great...
This. Espresso is a great bit of software.

I just wish my work would let me use a Mac (stuck on their Windows Dell PCs right now) so I could use it here as well as at home.

Back