Re purposing web graphics for printing to a portfolio.

Conway

Hi All

Im currently putting together loads of new graphics work together that I intend to use as my new and improved portfolio which I intend to wrap up in a pdf file that I can email out to different companies so that they can view it online/online at their computer.

Most of the photoshop master files that contain the original graphics, particular the web designs that I have designed solely in PS have been set at a resolution of 72ppi from the start, which as I understand is the standard resolution for screen graphics, any more is unnecessary.

The problem is I want to print those same graphics out for a paper portfolio as well, as this is often a requirement for Interviews, however printing out at 72ppi is not good enough, I heard the standard resolution for printing needs to be 300ppi. However just going into PS and choosing Image>Image Size and bumping up the resolution from 72 to 300 isn't the answer so Ive heard.

So how do I get round this problem am I screwed? Or can these screen graphics be re purposed for quality print outs?
If so, what is the procedure to do this in Photoshop?

Can anyone help me on this matter??

Dean

Hi Dean

Printing off a 72dpi portoilio on a laserjet printer isn't a problem for portfolio viewing purposes - it works for online viewing too.

300dpi is the size recommended for actual print to a printing press machine for professional purposes. Unless you plan to have a vast number of copies of your portfolio printed professionally by printers as a leaflet or book of sorts, I don't see any problems. Even the local Quick-print shop down the high street can print your portfolio to look impressive from 72dpi files.

PS: You may have to take colour variations into account, but I am sure a quick-print place would fiddle with their printers according to what you want - my one has done for me for portolio purposes before.

Last edited:
Hi Matobo

Thanks for your helpful input Matobo, greatly appreciated, however because a portfolio is considered to be a professional document, or at least it should be anyway!! would you say then that 72ppi will still produce professional looking print outs? and is there a major difference between the quality of a 72ppi and a 300ppi?

Also if I want to ENLARGE a graphic in photshop i.e so it will fit an A3paper page, whats the correct procedure on how to do this in PS? do I just scale up using the free transform handles or use the image size dialog box? whats the best way of doing this?

sorry for all the questions......

Dean

For portfolio purposes, either the dragging to enlarge or using the image size dialogue box work (you have more control via the image size dialogue box re size and quality) - you could easily change your artwork's resolution comfortably to between 72-300 dpi without losing quality to the naked eye - for portfolio purposes using an unprofessional printing source) - what you see visually on the printed product, is what the prospective employer sees. They aren't likely to pull out a viewing glass to check the pixel ratios (not viable for something that isn't printed professionally on a printing press) and quite frankly, even if you are using a local Quick-print place, you have the ultimate control about what it 'looks' like re the colours. You will probably have to pay per copy made, which isn't expensive unless you are really fussy, but in my experience, if you ask them to do some resolution amends to the artwork that you supply in the shop, they are happy to oblige (maybe I am chatty and butter them up easily, but it can be done if you talk to them as a professional that knows what you are talking about ;0)

I have been working predominantly on print artwork in the past, meaning that it easy enough for me to cut pages out of a magazine that went to print and add them to my portfolio. I have added web design bits to my portfolio - obviously most of them working to 72 dpi. A simple screen shot printed at the local print shop fitted the bill.

Also remember that when working to pdfs - unless you have a desire to p... off a potential employer, you have send a file that is an emailable size. A high-res print-ready pdf at 300 dpi isn't emailable (hence the reason why files for print are transferred directly to a print company's server in most cases). If your screen is calebrated in the hopes that theirs is - they should be seeing what you see. No matter what, if what you are showing is interesting enough to grab their attention, they would ask you in for an interview and that is when whatever you have printed to show in your portfolio, needs to be at the standard that you want it to be 'visually'.

Last edited:
Sounds like you need to invest in genuine fractals which produces far better enlargements than the native PS bicubic scaling.

Back