Questions about free design software

gcfarri

Could I please ask you for your opinions for a complete beginner which of the free external software design programs is the easiest and most straightforward to learn - out of – Gimp - ink scape - vectr or another. I want to use a free one at first to see if this is for me as I am very good at designing things.

Also are vector or transparent files absolutely necessary for T-shirt, mug , hoodie or other similar products to put designs on?

Thanks Craig

If you want to get into design seriously, ultimately, you will need to learn Adobe’s software. However, it is too expensive for someone starting out. To hat end I would suggest looking at Affinity (designer, photo and publisher). They are relatively cheap. That way, the transition to adobe wont be too arduous.

Re apparel, yes, vector is your best bet, unless you need something photographic/bitmap.

Gimp and inkscape are both aimed at different segments of design, gimp is more 'photos' and inkscape is vector, think photoshop and illustrator respectively.

Sprout covers the rest of what I would have said, including affinity software.

Scribus is or was an opensource page layout like indesign. Dont really look too much into free anymore.

Adobe is like 60 quid a month, for me that is practically free. Industry standard software.

Anyway, Linkedin Learning formerly Lynda.com has a free months trial, and i believe they cover Inkscape, not entirely sure.

Just checked they have inkscape and gimp courses.

But I do recommend Adobe, it is far better in my eyes.

I feel if you learn how to use other software then switch to the Industry standard later on you will have to relearn aspects.

Start off right though. Check out Linked in learning....

Unluckily the last time I posted I did not receive enough good responses to help me make up my mind . The program that I finally decide to use has to be completely FREE as I don’t have much money to spare and also over time I will find out if this is really for me .

I am looking for a way to make extra income putting designs on products for sale (print on demand) something that is VERY easy & straightforward to use for a complete beginner.

Is an online one or one that I would have to download best e.g Inkscape – Gimp – Vectr – Canva - Gravit – Paint.net - Paint 3d but the problem I have found is that most of them seem to be far too difficult for a beginner. What I would like is a program with a reasonable learning curve but at the same time have fairly good features. I obviously can’t expect the best , but I would like something that I can learn with but is fairly easy to grasp in the beginning Or are the ones on certain websites like spreadshirt okay to use for the purpose of designing T-shirts , coffee mugs , hats etc..

All recommendations very appreciated.

You've already asked this question twice in varying ways in the last few days on this forum, we've responded and also given suggestions/answers. A quick google shows you've been asking the same question since 2018....

I am now merging this thread this with another one of your threads and locking the other one.

Please don't spam the forum with additional threads asking the same question, it will make getting a response harder.

As to your question, if the ones you have found are too difficult for a beginner you should not be considering doing things like t-shirts and mugs etc. There is a reason that most of us on here have spent years learning our craft and it's not just about the software we use.

I’m with Levi; if you have absolutely no idea what you are doin, surely, it is better to learn first before even attempting to start a business and just adding more mediocre or substandard products to the sea of resource-hungry crap already out there. Learn the craft first.

Back