Pull the plug or request more money?

bigdave

I've been working on a really big project for about 6 months, I'm at a bit of a cross roads with it and could do with some advice.

The client has been very specific about the functionality of the site and from the get go, I knew that area was above my ability so I employed a far more experienced developer. I've worked on the design and layout and left the development side of things to him. Between us there's probably been 200+ hours gone into the wire frames, the photoshop layouts and development of the site. Before development even began the customer was supplied copies of the designs to approve along with a very long document explaining the functionality. After a lot of changes (some minor, most pretty major) he was happy, so I handed it over to the developer.

8 weeks on the developer has almost wrapped up the functionality of the site and is pretty much there with the layout, to the point that he's been able to walk me through a live demo of the site including payment gateways, user profiles etc.. I'm happy with the work to date and have forwarded a link to the client.... This is where the problems start.

Visually the changes he's requesting are quite minor (ie; move the logo up a bit, change the colour of that bit, add another social link here..). BUT he's ripped the functionality to pieces, wanting to change huge chunks of the site because 'he's been thinking and...'. My take on this is that the time for 'thinking' about functionality was 8 weeks ago before the developer started?

When I opened his email last night, I was so angry I was ready for pulling the plug on the whole thing right there and then! Having slept on it I'm sure we can make the functionality changes but I don't see why it should be at my expense? I also get the feeling that he's going to be one of these clients that will just keep making major change after major change with no concern for the time and cost to me, in making them.

That leaves me with a few options:
• Agree to make these changes as part of the original budget and make it clear this wont happen again
• Agree to make these changes as part of the original budget and make it clear that a fee will apply to all future changes
• Agree to make these changes but request an additional payment to cover the costs and make it clear this wont happen again
• Agree to make these changes but request an additional payment to cover the costs and make it clear a fee will apply to all future changes
• Agree to make these changes but request an larger additional payment to cover the costs as well as a contingency fund
• Tell the client to go forth and fornicate

Any advice?

I'd make it clear that these changes are outside the remit of the original quote/charges, and these additional changes will incur an added cost.

Either they want the changes and they will pay, or they won't want to pay therefore they won't get the changes.

It should be fairly black and white with no grey areas here.

Explain that you've given all the functionality requests he's asked for originally in the original budget and these additional changes fall outside the work you've already completed and therefore require extra payment.

I think it's quite fair.

I'd make it clear that these changes are outside the remit of the original quote/charges, and these additional changes will incur an added cost.

Explain that you've given all the functionality requests he's asked for originally in the original budget and these additional changes fall outside the work you've already completed and therefore require extra payment.

This is more than fair and exactly what I would do.

Just while we're on, I'd question his logic behind things like "moving the logo up 2px." Is that what he actually said or an example? If it's what he said, ask him if that's actually a valuable argument? Like, where's the proof that the logo will be better 2px or is it personal opinion? I end up in this sort of situation often and I always question it. Pixel pushing is silly.

Back