Printing picture resolution

socreative

Hi
I'm currently working on a brochure and the only photos i have are the ones given to me by the client The thing is they are normal 72dpi resolution with max dimensions up to 1200x860px
the question is that this brochure will be A4 size and i need some of these images printer rather large. From my calculations the max i can get resampling images to 300dpi is 4.5 or something around that. Is there any way i can make them larger without loosing to much quality?

I was told that i publishing practice you can zoop up 300dpi images up to 5% without noticeable artifacts.
Can someone confirm this or give me more info on that?

thanks

If you resample the said images to 300dpi your image size is approx 100mm high x 70mm wide (or whatever the orientation is.)
So I'd say that your hopes of using these at A4 isn't achievable if you want to maintain the resolution of 300dpi without getting Photoshop to 'add' information.
You don't mention what the finished printed article is? Is it a magazine/brochure? If the quality isn't required, then you might get away with a resolution of 200dpi and the relevent increase in physical size, but I think you need to ask for alternative images (Are they stock photos/digital photos?) or rethink the layout to allow for using 4x smaller images instead of 1x large one. Or perhaps an out of focus A4 one with smaller inset/overlaid images?

thanks for the reply

it is going to be a printed a4 property catalog. So basically I need all images at 300dpi not a dot less?

Last edited:
As Paul says (PCBranding) you can see what you can get away with by resampling but be careful, its a good idea to select "actual pixels" then you can see whats happening. But in most cases you need to get bigger images at 300dpi.

Its very much depend on picture itself, its is landscape or photo witout single focused object you may get away by resample, but if its eg product shot or image with chunky edges resample will affect heavily on quality.

Many of our customers send is 72dpi images way too smaller then required for their print stuff. We resample them to 150 and use them because 300 completely destroys quality. But after explaining to customers only.

Thatnks for all you replies.

The images are shot of property objects, houses, flats so ther're quite a few small details on every picture

Can we get away with printing it all with 150dpi that you mentioned or is it going to look too bad?

Thatnks for all you replies.

The images are shot of property objects, houses, flats so ther're quite a few small details on every picture

Can we get away with printing it all with 150dpi that you mentioned or is it going to look too bad?

If you can send me one picture, I will see at what max rate of resample we can use it for printing without any noticeable difference.

With our layout idea i would want them to look something like that on A4

1416rm9.jpg

Here're the images that we were given

Send big files the easy way. Files too large for email attachments? No problem!

thanks

Thanks Boss,

just downloaded the images, I am afraid apart from one, none can be used on A4 brochure, that's because of poor quality of source.. these pictures are saved and compressed for web use therefore not suitable for print.

Back