PRINTING - OMIT OR NOT, HIDDEN LINES WHEN CREATING A PDF FOR PRINTING?

kojak

I am a bit embarrassed to ask this question, it is rather basic but it is important. What happens to hidden lines when a pdf is created for printing? Another way to pose the question is like this: say you have 3 solid discs of colour intersecting, each on a dedicated layer and in priority 1 over 2 over 3. for the purposes of neat accurate printing does it matter that the hidden lines disappear when the pdf is created? Or do they? Rather than have a hidden line/shape run under another, might it not be better for all visible shapes to abut each other even if in priority? I Ihope this makes sense. Thanku.

It depends if the shapes you are talking about are set to overprint or to knockout.
If set to overprint, then the shapes will interact with each others colour underneath and create a new colour.
If you set to knockout, then the shapes will knockout below to show the paper - and this is where trapping comes into play, you don't need to do anything, as the printers would set this up. Do not adjust trapping yourself unless you know what you're doing.

Hi Kojak,
Welcome to this forum. There is nothing to embarrass in asking what you don't know.
For the reply of what you are asking I agree with Hankscorpio.
For the shapes you have mentioned, depends on whether they are set to overprint or knockout. Try not to do trapping until you have full command.
Hope it helps.
Thanks

Back