Please rate and critique my web design portfolio.

leenick100

Hi,
I am learning front end web design and have been through an RQF level 3 course. I have created an online portoflio as I am trying to get an entry level job.
Please share thoughts on how to improve or change my personal site. www.screencanvas.co.uk

Thank you
Regards

OK... I'm just going to say it because I know I'm not the only one thinking it....

No offence intended here but if that is the best work you can put out you might as well just give up now, web design (like all design disciplines in fact) is incredibly competitive and there will be dozens, if not hundreds, of local 'web designers' out there who will have considerably better portfolios and personal websites than the one you are linking to here. Hell I can produce a better website than the one you link to and and I do not advertise myself as a web designer...

If you have better skills, why isn't your site showing them. If you've produced better work, why isn't that being shown on your website (and I understand about NDA's I have them A LOT).

The days of building HTML sites have long gone. Everything these days is database driven. That's what you need to be able to do. And with 40% of the web driven by WordPress that would be a good place to start.

None of your portfolio sites are complete. The dynamic features are missing or don't work.

This demo here: http://www.screencanvas.co.uk/dating/index.html You could build a fully functional site like that in WordPress in under an hour. There is nothing special about what you have done.

Sorry to be so negative but I if this is the best you can do with all those qualifications then maybe this isn't the career path for you.

The days of building HTML sites have long gone. Everything these days is database driven.
Lets be realistic here, not every site NEEDS to be database driven, the only reason that most are these days is because people have become reliant on things like wordpress which includes one even if your site doesn't actually NEED it.

I have no need for a database on my website (currently doing a new one which is more 'mobile friendly') whatsoever, so using one is just adding bloat and unnecessary complications to it, actually I'm not even using a prebuilt framework as that often adds in a lot of extra code for things I'm not going to use too.

I agree and I have the same for some of my own sites. But the OP is building sites for clients and using a CMS is the sensible way to do this. Especially as at least two of the postfolio sites won’t work any other way.

I understand it's a beginners idea of what websites should look like. If you're looking to get an entry level job then you are probably going to be very disheartened that you won't hear back from anyone based on your portfolio.

At this stage having a portfolio is not critical - concentate on making a nice front-end website for yourself alone. You can then put up you own credentials, and links to websites that you have helped to design.

But at this point in time, I feel your website designs are not going to be the main selling point, the main point here is YOU, sell yourself, not your work. Share your determination, your drive, your inspirations, your qualifications etc.

Here's some ideas of what I am talking about.
https://www.mockplus.com/blog/post/web-design-portfolio

I like that link @hankscorpio as they all demonstrate the skills of the front-end developer. It's a bit like the stuff you see on the fashion shows. Of little practical value, they are only there to showcase the designers ideas and visions.

Back