Please critique my portfolio of work

Ummm it's not awful but a lot of it is very 'not quite up to date' / seen that style sooooo often before. But as I say not terrible and wtf would I know anyway? :icon_biggrin:

I like some of the pieces such as the Whitespace Academy, Atco and Ecoventures as they all seem to have a bit more style and look a lot classier and more professional.

Not too keen on the magazine spreads and a bit of the other stuff feels quite outdated.

I like some of the pieces such as the Whitespace Academy, Atco and Ecoventures as they all seem to have a bit more style and look a lot classier and more professional.

Not too keen on the magazine spreads and a bit of the other stuff feels quite outdated.

thanks for the input...whats wrong with the magazine spreads? What makes it look outdated?

I agree with the other guys. The Whitespace and Atco projects have a totally different feel to the other work on the site. This comes from the choice of colour, font and overall use of space/grid. The other work is at a 'newsletter' /internal communication level.

Would recommend focussing on the Whitespace/Atco style projects with perhaps just one or two of the other projects. It's natural to have work of different styles in one's folio as not all briefs ultimately create the best piece of design, but do answer what the client wants.

Perhaps the big 3 projects should have a bit more background to accompany them?

Site-wise: it feels a little grubby and needs to be kept clean and crisp by using more contrast and a bit more finesse with the titling/choice of fonts. The site doesn't quite know whether it's justified centrally or not and I'm left scanning madly to find out what to do next.

Perhaps the images could be cropped closer onto the more interesting sections rather than just floating on white backgrounds?

Does it need to be actually called 'Peter May's Webfolio'? Could it not be 'Peter May - Graphic Design'?

That help?

thanks for the input...whats wrong with the magazine spreads? What makes it look outdated?

Just things like the fonts, colours, space and so on, it all just feels more basic and less polished.

As for the magazine spreads, again, if you take the Lady Gaga one as an example, I think it is mainly the font that does it. For the cover I don't think the imagery, fonts, colours and general placement works well together either i.e. having the Simpson character plastered near the centre on top of quite a fashionable, black and white image - it just doesn't work.

To be honest, the background image is probably the issue more than anything as the rest of the elements look more geared up to a fun, colourful magazine whereas the image does the opposite so it's giving mixed messages and just doesn't come off very well at all. Some of the pages on the inside work really well though and would suit particular styles of magazine so that's not a problem really, it's just mixed in with other bits so I think there needs to be a more consistent style to it.

But as I say, things like the Whitespace Academy and so on look really nice. Clean, modern and professional and I really like them :)

I think the brochures are the strongest work here. The typography and colours balance really well. I'm not too keen on the magazine layout but its good to have a range of work, a lot of peoples portfolios are just a variation on one theme.

Back