Personal logo concept

My name doesn't even look good in Helvetica so I think I'm fucked.

Everything looks good in Helvetica! :crazy:

I went through this exact thing Paul. Should have seen the crap I came up with, spent at least 4 months on at least 30 different options, plain logo fonts to more illustrative shapes like your brain idea, eventually just stuck with my boring Arrivals typeface, but like Dave said, I like it, it does what I need it to do, and says a lot about what I like in design.

Designing for yourself is always a nightmare and creating a logo for someone in the business of graphic design multiplies that nightmare by a factor of ten. When I was working on my own brand, I was probably thinking along similar lines to you and ended up choosing what I thought was a nice colour palette, wrote the name of my business in what I thought was a nice font and added a device based on a thought bubble in subtle shades of R, G and B. Massively original? Not really but it still pleases me aesthetically three years on because I set out to demonstrate simple ideas in a way that was pleasing to my eye: show that you understand colour, shape and typography, don't get mired in detail, be generally happy with the result and get the hell out of there.

Can we see it? :thumb:

Further to what Dave says, I think as long as you've got something that looks clean and smart then it isn't the be all and end all in this instance, as people will generally be looking at your portfolio of work as opposed to the logo if they're going to be hiring you.

Can we see it? :thumb:

Like I say: it isn't going to win me any awards or make people go 'wow' or anything like that but it does the job and I don't feel it reflects badly on me. Of course that can all change now it's up on GDF...

Attachments

• lcl1.jpg
    lcl1.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
It's called Aller but I tweaked the horizontal bar on the 't' - it was pointy at the left-hand end which made it stand out alongside the other characters in use. Looking at it now, the altered section is a bit fat - might have to have a look at that but I'm generally quite casual about the whole logo thing as it isn't something I depend on to any great extent; I don't use business cards or stationery and my website never got developed beyond the holding page as I work almost exclusively through a network of people I've known for years... it's in my email sig and appears at the top of my invoices but that's about it.

Thanks guys, I am still quite happy with the concept so I think I'll just go ahead and refine the design and use it for the foreseeable future. I think having something different inside 'my' head could potentially help in the originality department :)

Like I say: it isn't going to win me any awards or make people go 'wow' or anything like that but it does the job and I don't feel it reflects badly on me. Of course that can all change now it's up on GDF...

I like that one, it's neat and does what it needs to do. Colours work well, I like the typeface and I like the concept behind the thought bubbles - good work :)

Hi Paul,
I like the concept. Is it truly original? No, but what is?
There's so much good and bad design out there that most concepts have been done before. If you like the idea and feels it represents you well then go for it. If nothing is original anymore, all we can do is to put our own stamp on things. What can be more appropriate for personal branding?
I'm not saying originality is dead by the way. All I'm saying is that if you have an exciting idea you believe is new, you can look hard and find something similar, it's the way of the world now.

My only input to the logo as it stands is this.... I'm not sure if there is enough forehead in the silhouette. The top of the head seems a little squashed. We all remember those good 'ole life drawing classes in school. The eyes are roughly half-way down the head. The nose seems a little high to me. If you extend the head a little it's will give you a 'bigger brain' or at least more space to play with when utilising that space with changing elements.

Hope this helps.

My only input to the logo as it stands is this.... I'm not sure if there is enough forehead in the silhouette. The top of the head seems a little squashed. We all remember those good 'ole life drawing classes in school. The eyes are roughly half-way down the head. The nose seems a little high to me. If you extend the head a little it's will give you a 'bigger brain' or at least more space to play with when utilising that space with changing elements.

Thanks for the feedback Ken. I actually drew around a picture of myself in profile so I guess I'm just blessed with a 'Picasso-like' arrangement of facial features :p

I see what you're saying though, and I did actually notice as soon as I'd done it that my forehead was quite 'short'. I suspect/hope it's an optical illusion due to me including my big, floppy Bieber fringe. I'll have another attempt this week when I've had my mop chopped.

By the way, I'm waiting for a few invoices to come in before I buy a copy of your book too (in colour!). Should be able to grab one this weekend hopefully.

No worries.
Probably is an optical illusion. Things like that happen easily once it's simplified, somehow. As long as it looks right it doesn't matter if it's anatomically correct.
Bieber-fringe? :)

Thanks in advance for getting the book. I hope you like it. Let me know. There's a new comic gone up today too.

Back