PC Sudden Slow Load Up {Help Please}

@GCarlD

Hi all,

I know a PC {pah} hehe but hey, just wondering if anyone can help me out with my problem:

I'll try and get straight to the point. I have been using Google Chrome for about a week or so now and noticed it had a 'Shockwave plugin critical update required urgently.' So naturally I thought I better update this asap. How wrong was I. Since then my PC has been sick and showing no signs of recovery. Basically, during the update, it also installed a program called 'PC Tools Registry Mechanic.' After a few Google searches it seems this is quite a popular program and it is even recommended. Anyway, I ran this program and let it scan my PC and do its business clearing/ correcting bad registries and what not. It found a ton load 100s+. But as it is only a free version, it only partially fixes any problems it finds, forcing you to pay for the full service. Next thing I know, I restart my PC, it boots up ok as normal but when it gets to the 'Welcome to Windows' screen, it takes 10 times as long for my desktop to appear and when it does, it's like my PC has a nap, and does nothing for a few minutes and then wakes up and thinks oh yeah I better load up the desktop icons etc now.

Now I'm no expert with PC's (obviously) but everything was ok up until I updated the plugin and ran the PC Tools Registry Mechanic. My best bet is one of those two things has messed up my PC. I think it may have messed up my Registry? But I don't know how to fix it.

I have tried a couple system restores but it hasn't made a difference. I have done anti virus scans, Malware scans erm a PC washer? You name it. I have done a MSCONFIG, deselected all start ups but nothing is getting my PC back to how it was. Still starting up way too slowly. It does however seem to load up perfectly in Safe Mode.

Any ideas/suggestion?

Thank you.

Last edited:
If it loads in Safe Mode then surely it's a program causing this, you just need to find out which one. Do you not have an earlier restore point you can go back to? Failing that format, re-install and take a disc image so that next time you can put your PC back to new in a few minutes with all your progs and settings intact. Think you may have to learn the hard way on this unfortunately.

Yes, the thing is the first thing I did, which I forgot to mention, was uninstall the two programs that I thought may have caused the problem; Shockwave and PC Tools Regitry Mechanic but that didn't help one bit. I can't think of what other program could be causing it as it was perfectly fine before. Nor have I installed any other programs recently, so I thought it must be one out of the two.

I have tried restoring it to a restore point from last week but again that made no difference. Is it worth choosing a restore point further back than that? This problem only occurred yesterday.

Just to be clear I can start up my computer, it does boot up, its just it is all of a sudden very slow once to gets to the Welcome to Windows screen.

I have had my PC a good 10 years and have had to wipe the hard drive a couple times along the way. I have got all of my most important work backed up on my external hard drive etc. But is it possible to re-install windows without losing all my programs? (Probably a silly question). I am sure I read that somewhere late last night. Or could you please explain how I can set it up so that I can 'put my PC back to new in a few minutes with all your programs and settings intact' like you mentioned.

Thank you so much for your help.

Well I would have thought that a restore from an earlier point would have fixed any alterations to the registry, I steer well clear of those registry cleaners.

If it was me I would stop wasting time, back all your stuff up, format and re-install windows, re-install all your programs and set them up exactly how you like them, defrag the drive.... then look at something like Acronis Drive Image, take an image of the drive, back it up to DVD and to another stand alone hard drive (just to be sure). Then that way if you have any future problems you can restore your computer to its orginal perfect state in around 10 minutes, with all your programs and settings.

Well I would have thought that a restore from an earlier point would have fixed any alterations to the registry, I steer well clear of those registry cleaners.

If it was me I would stop wasting time, back all your stuff up, format and re-install windows, re-install all your programs and set them up exactly how you like them, defrag the drive.... then look at something like Acronis Drive Image, take an image of the drive, back it up to DVD and to another stand alone hard drive (just to be sure). Then that way if you have any future problems you can restore your computer to its orginal perfect state in around 10 minutes, with all your programs and settings.

Thanks. I found out that it is possible to re-install without losing all my programs but there is a chance I will have to completely wipe the disk anyway. Problem now is.... PRODUCT KEYS! Oh dear, I am almost certain I have lost them including the most important one for Windows. Any idea of where I could find them on my PC? I was hoping they would be in the actual programs themselves or somewhere surely? Hopefully I won't need them if the re-installation works but I can't do anything until I have everything ready just incase it all goes tits up.

10 years... Maybe get a new machine

Easier said than done but I surely hope to one day.

Thank you, I came across this earlier but was hesitant to try it after what happened the last time I ran a program I was unaware of. Have you used it before?

I'm figuring your HDD is on the way out mate, your windows install probably has corruptions.

Thanks to all of you, it looks like I'll be able to re-install everything at some point this weekend hopefully. I'll definitely give that Belarc program a go as without it i'm pretty screwed.

Keep your fingers crossed for me :)

Thanks again!

Back