Original Web Design

Hi there,

I'm Richard and I have just finished making my website to promote my very small, one man band, business which is freelance web design. Anyway i'd like some opinions on my website, so if you could take a look at it, check to see if everything works ok then i'd be very greatful for that. If there are any problems with it then let me know. You can do that through my website or on this forum. Ayway i look forward to reading your responses.

This is the link to my website http://originalwebdesigns.co.uk/Index.html

Last edited:
No offence but I can't understand how you can offer freelance website design services when your own website looks like that, I designed sites that looked like that back in 1999 when I first started tinkering with Dreamweaver, to critique that how it stands would take me all night.

Sorry to be harsh :icon_blushing:

I agree with above.

It's shocking tbh, I started looking at the code, but I got as far as the first line and found it didn't have a doctype so I stopped.

I don't think you're in the position to list good or bad websites. Sorry to be truthful.

Learn the code, follow tutorials then offer your services. Not the other way round.

On the positive side, there were no javascript errors!

Attachments

• js.gif
    js.gif
    2.4 KB · Views: 4
Website

Thanks a lot for your replys people. I've only just started out since i finished college and i'm really still learning how to make websites through the making of my own website so for the time being its not going to be some flash corporate website. As time goes on though and as I get more experience I will be adding to it and making a lot of improvements to it. You yourself Boss Hog said that this is what you were making back in 1999. Well I see that as a positive because that shows i'm on the right track to making a better website. I'm just using tools I have at hand. All I have at the moment is notepad.

Thanks anyway

Get yourself a trial copy of Dreamweaver or something along those lines. You’ll have a free month to do some tutorials and so on and see how you go. Plenty of links to tutorials to be found on this site.

We all started somewhere :)

Maybe you should concentrate on one aspect of web design.

Either the design of the website or the build of it.

At the standard that you currently are at, and with no formal training, you would struggle to learn both to a standard that you would be able to offer them as services.

If you concentrate on one aspect then you will progress much quicker. Often those that design and code websites lack the final execution in both. A full time web designer will be able to offer their services to create stunningly beautiful websites that function like a breeze. A full time front end developer will be able to take those stunningly beautiful designs and code them efficiently and concisely enabling the website to work to its full potential. To do both to a high standard is a daunting task and maybe one that you should look at reevaluating.

I hope this doesn't demoralise you as that is not my intention and I wish you all the best in whatever you decide to do.

Thanks a lot for your replys people. I've only just started out since i finished college and i'm really still learning how to make websites through the making of my own website so for the time being its not going to be some flash corporate website. As time goes on though and as I get more experience I will be adding to it and making a lot of improvements to it. You yourself Boss Hog said that this is what you were making back in 1999. Well I see that as a positive because that shows i'm on the right track to making a better website. I'm just using tools I have at hand. All I have at the moment is notepad.

Thanks anyway

But at least you did try, just provide yourself with more room for improvements in the future? My company uses Dream Weaver and it is very handy. You should get yourself one as well. :)

... i'm really still learning how to make websites through the making of my own website......
All I have at the moment is notepad.

I don't think anyone ever stops learning so don't worry about the fact your STILL learning! I think the main issue (as many above have pointed out) is that your still a beginner and so are going to struggle to offer your services professionally - and to be honest even if you do get clients its not doing anyone (or the web design industry) any favours.

My advice would be similar to robertjmccarthy above - initally focus on learning either design OR code - whichever your best at or prefer right now.

I would also advise AGAINST getting Dreamweaver, it produces bloated code and if its doing all the work for you your never going to learn what or why your doing things.

Go and grab Notepad++ its free and perfect for writing HTML & CSS. (Hint: Stop using TABLES for your layout!!!!!!)

With regards to design, grab a 30 day free version of Fireworks - or for the longer term GIMP is free to download and similar to Photoshop.

You really don't need to spend any money, I could design and build a professional site with Notepad++ & GIMP just fine. There are LOTS of great tutorials on the net, you just need to put in the time and effort.

Just don't give up!

Jason
custardfish
Ipswich Web Designers

I'll have to agree with the others on most points here. Particularly that you are in no position to be calling other people's websites good or bad at this stage. People in glass houses and all that.

However, I also agree that you should just keep learning. You'll get there. I see some of my first sites in what you have created and you'll pick up more and more over the next few months and years.

A few things I would look at next if I were you;

1. Maybe step away from creating a business website at the moment. You just CAN'T ask for money at this stage. Do you have a hobby that you could create a site about where the quality doesn't matter whilst you learn?
2. CSS and div tag based layouts. Stop using tables. Particularly take this line out of 'advice'; "...and how to create tables in your website so that images and text can be put on the same line."
3. Check your website in different browsers and at different screen resolutions before you publish it. It is sticking off the page on my computer.
4. Lose or move the Google ads (yuck)
5. Take out the good and bad websites because the bad ones look like yours and the good ones blow yours away.
6. Have a friend read through your content.

Don't mean to be harsh or for you to be disheartened because we all started somewhere. Just think you've jumped the gun a bit with building a business site.

Back