Organizing your day

Dave1975

Just read an interesting article over at Freelance Switch about using to-do lists, or gotta-do lists in the authors words! It's worth a read - Holding Yourself Accountable, Part One - FreelanceSwitch - The Freelance Blog

The bit I found really interesting was the 2 questions she asks herself every day;

1. What did I do to make money today?
  2. What did I do to bring in business today?
Does anyone else have a system they use on a daily basis to keep track of progress in this way? How do you all organize your workload for the day?

Greg

Greg said:
The bit I found really interesting was the 2 questions she asks herself every day;

1. What did I do to make money today?
  2. What did I do to bring in business today?

I ask myself this at the end of every single day when I get in to bed but I don't really organise my workload other than, see what needs to be done and just do it.

The only really structure I have to my day is getting up early to do emails, then I just work through my jobs.

I've started doing to-do lists for each day I have a piece of A4 then I break my day up into AM/PM, all the jobs I have are then numbered in order of importance and I work my way through them. At the end of the day any jobs I haven't completed then go onto the next days list. I've also got a small white board next to my desk where I keep track of jobs in progress, quotes I've sent out, and completed jobs and their invoice dates.

I've not been asking myself those questions, but think I might try and take a more objective view like that when assessing the order in which to do things on my lists!

Greg

Mine is very simple, write up a to do list first thing, then dont finish that day till its all been ticked off, unless its out of my control of cause, so usually work most nights to keep on top of it all.

Brett

I think one of the things that the Freelance Swtich article doesn't take into account is freelancers who work on their own projects such as Greg's fine fine forum here.

I'm don't think I'm wrong in saying that answer to either of these questions is probably no if you put your time into something like this, but at the same time its progress nevertheless.

Back