Only need a few booklets for portfolio, where to go?

samuelcooke77

Hi there, I am planning on going to uni next year and I will be needing a portfolio. I like the idea of having a printed out booklet showing my designs that the interviewer can flip through.

My dad is a printer but his shop wont do such a small amount of prints. Just wondering what sites would allow me to print 3 - 5 nice quality booklets for a decent price.

Thanks a lot for any help!

I can recommend Blurb. I've only used it for holiday photos, but was impressed with the print quality.

You could also print/bind something yourself at home. Inkjet printers can get really nice results, and all you need to do really is use some decent paper you can buy in sheets from an art supply shop. I've printed work at home that people are impressed by just because it's on unusual paper stock. Plus it's an extra bit of creative talent you can show off.

Here's some examples of portfolios and some self-published/handmade booklets from my blog.

Reckon worth a punt ringing up some digital printing places.

I've had work printed for free and it really helps me network with the local printers and build a relationship with them.

A lot of them can be very helpful to you - I did have to ring and ask a lot of places though :)

You're on the right track with your choice of showcase. Easy to peruse booklets and magazines give off a more professional impression than the usual folder full of clippings most students carry around. I also concur with previous suggestions that online printing is the way to go, my company uses print24 for magazine printing.

Back