Online Portfolio

mdsimpson1987

Hi There,

I am a graphic design graduate (2009) and I have spent the last year getting work experience to add to my portfolio. I have an online portfolio with websites like Carbonmade : Your online portfolio..

However I am beginning to feel that it would be better to have an actual website with my own domain name as it would look more professional.

The only thing is that I have no experience in web design, as all my work and qualifications is print/logo design based.

I have thought about going to a web design company and ask them to create me a website. However I feel that it would seem a bit funny, as a graphic designer getting someone else to design for me.

I'm probably being silly, but just wondered what everyone else thinks?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Not at all!

I assume you will be designing the site yourself. You will simply be hiring someone to do the coding for you! :icon_smile:

Hi there,

Thanks for the quick reply.

What program would use to design the website. I have dreamweaver, but i have never really used it.

Would I just design it in illustrator/photoshop and apply it to a website template?

thanks

I was actually thinking you could design how you want the site to look in illustrator/photoshop, then pass it on to the website designer and let them sort out all the functionality for you.

To be honest, I would steer clear of dreamweaver if you don't know what you are doing, as you will probably end up giving yourself a headache! lol!

Yea, dreamweaver is probably not the best place to start. As a print designer, you may be better off outsourcing the work to someone that does it on a day to day basis.

You give them ideas of a platform that you would like to use if any and then pass the design over to them.

That might be the easiest and quickest solution for you.

No problem Mark,

If you need anymore help please do not hesitate to contact me. There are a lot of confident XHTML developers on here that may well be able to help build a site for you. :)

As Helen suggested, creating your own design in photoshop or illustrator and passing the appropriate files to a developer would be good way to go about it especially if you're unsure about the coding side, integrating a CMS could also be beneficial.

Hi there,

Thanks to everyone for their help.

I'm going to start designing in illustrator, what size document should i create and are there any of specifics i should take into consideration when i'm creating my design?

Also, excuse my ignorance but what is a CMS system?

thanks

mark

Surely you could just use the slicing function in illustrator/Photoshop to create a graphics heavy design, then pass the html file that Illustrator/photoshop creates for you on to anyone capable of creating a good style sheet for the site.

Take a look at one of the blog scripts to help you keep it updated and you're away.

Hi there,

Thanks to everyone for their help.

I'm going to start designing in illustrator, what size document should i create and are there any of specifics i should take into consideration when i'm creating my design?

Also, excuse my ignorance but what is a CMS system?

thanks

mark

Evening Mark,

CMS stands for Content Management System (Wordpress, Joomla etc).

There isn't really any major limits to website design however, I would design to a maximum width of between 960 and 980 pixels. Personally, I would suggest creating this in Photoshop if you are happy to do that. Also keep the document resolution down to about 72 dpi.

If you have any more questions please feel free to PM me.

CMS stands for content management system.... which basically allows you to upload information without having to know and html.

I tend to design more towards 960px wide (and however long you wish)

Back