Oi oi

matobo

Hey guys! Thought I would drop a hello post considering I remembered my password and logged in again. Really good to see this forum is still ticking over, especially since they are a dying breed. I have been a member for years, just haven't had the headspace for talking to anyone for a while ;). I followed the link back from my twitter feed which I haven't been following for years either and was pleasantly surprised to see so much activity.

Hope you are all well and that everyone is doing ok in the current apocalyptic circumstances.

matobo

Not too bad here considering it has been a rubbish year in general.

Ironically I got an ongoing regular freelance job from this forum about 10 years ago when someone made a post looking for someone interested in designing children's books for a publishing house - they have been my primary client since then and luckily, I still have had work to do throughout the lockdown. The work doesn't keep me 100% busy, but annually I make the same as I would make if I had a full time job in London. I did try full time work again for a little while, but after being made redundant for the second time in my life I gave it up as a bad joke.

For my midlife crisis I am considering doing a BA in Illustration to broaden my horizons. I didn't have the opportunity to get a degree 30 years ago and I feel an urge to get one now. Hopefully should be able to start an online one as an advanced student in the next few months.

hankscorpio

Staff member
Yeh, year has been a write-off lol. Work was slow, so started up my own business and got some work that way, which has been going well for now and been profitable.

Nice when you get repeat business to keep you going.
Not really sure what adding a degree will do for you know, sure it will be good either way, learn something new etc. - but I think I'm past all that now lol, so me just being negative to any sort of archaic schooling system that never did me any good.

If you ever need a children's illustrator, my sister in law is pretty good https://www.instagram.com/custombysonia/

matobo

Yeh, year has been a write-off lol. Work was slow, so started up my own business and got some work that way, which has been going well for now and been profitable.

Nice when you get repeat business to keep you going.
Not really sure what adding a degree will do for you know, sure it will be good either way, learn something new etc. - but I think I'm past all that now lol, so me just being negative to any sort of archaic schooling system that never did me any good.

If you ever need a children's illustrator, my sister in law is pretty good https://www.instagram.com/custombysonia/
Thanks Hank. I think the main reason why I am considering the degree, is because I can illustrate, but I don't have the confidence to sell myself as one. I think I am too old school and I look at illustration portfolios these days and think 'WTF' and wonder how and why they are getting work. I need an injection of modern day youthful thinking and influence.

Of course this is all probably because I turn 50 next month and I need to do something as I can't afford a lamborghini.

Here is some of my illustration work that I am hoping to rejuvenate if you are interested in seeing what I mean... https://www.behance.net/matobo