new client help

mattwisdom

Hi all, after a bit of advice - a new client, we've given them a quote, after sitting on it for a week they have asked us to come in and show them the progress on the project so far, however there is no comment/response to our quote despite chasing. Eventually we speak to them and their response is we want to see what we're getting before we accept your price. We've shown them our portfolio and experience which they seemed happy with. Just wondering there is any advice we can tap into on this? I'm wary of us investing time into a project and the client refusing to accept it.
We're dealing with a new business who haven't dealt with designers before, so I expect that has some baring on it.

thank you
Matt

One word mate, Deposit. I personally don't always ask for a deposit, which I probably should do, but I think it depends on the situation and whether you have worked with the client before. In your situation I'd definitely ask for a deposit if they want you to do the work. If for some reason this is not possible, then do not send them any form of work that they can use without payment. Either way you shouldn't send out your work without being paid something anyway. Your price is your price. It sounds like they want to try and talk you down. Negotiating is fine, but just make sure your time and expenses is covered and you are paid what you are worth.

Totally agree with CLHB. No company can survive on doing spec work so either they show some commitment through a deposit or just don't work for them. As you say, they picked you having seen the quality of your work so expecting you to work on a whim isn't fair.

Absolute chancers! Deposit (non-refundable by the way) is absolutely the way to go. I can sort of understand from a client's point of view; they want to know that you are going to produce something they like / want blah blah but it is completely unrealistic and costly to provide specs / mock ups without any financial commitment.

If they don't want to pay a deposit just change the terminology and offer to do a small part of the work at an agreed % of the total up front. Failing that then you have to put things into layman's terms they can understand / equate with. For example one of my guys (who I have since educated in the ways of paying deposits and print costs up front :icon_wink:) was an absolute A-hole on the first job, refusing point blank to pay a deposit / anything up-front. He happens to be a plumber so I put it to him: "if a customer wanted you to install central heating, what would you say if they asked you to fit two radiators and if they like your work they will pay you to do the rest?". His immediate response was: "I'd tell them to f*ck off!" followed by this look of 'oh I get it now' on his face.

Good luck - and I can't help spot the irony of somebody called Wisdom asking for advice :icon_biggrin:

yeah I agree with the rest of the guys, always get a deposit. I never start a project without getting at least 25% of the total cost. Also make sure you don't put in more hours work than the deposit covers before you get more payments. It may seem very hard if your just starting out to say no to possible customers but stand your ground, it's worth it in the long run both for yourself and the industry on the whole.

Thanks everyone for your help, that's pretty much where we are with it but wanted to check with the wise words of the forum!
Cheers

Just saw trhis...

Hi, sorry for delay in replying. This is a common problem. We've been stung a few times. Bottom line, don't put work in to bolster a quote; once you get the job, then out the work in.

Back