Need some tips for outreach.

toddythenewbie

Hey everyone, I'm thinking of transitioning to more of a gig-based set up as a graphic designer. Been working for this company I work for right now for 3 years and I think it's time to explore the gig side of things. I'm honestly terrified.

Has anyone have done cold outreach? How did you get started? How did you go about finding the contacts?

What kinda gigs you are you talking about here?
I thought I was going to be ghosted. On top of my head rebranding logos, logo design, poster/email illustrations design, and my fave UI/UX design. I'm thinking of reaching out to companies that have flaws in their website UI/UX I have a list of roughly 20. But not sure how I should reach out or even who I should reach out to. Im also thinking of expanding that but not entirely sure how.

I thought I was going to be ghosted. On top of my head rebranding logos, logo design, poster/email illustrations design, and my fave UI/UX design. I'm thinking of reaching out to companies that have flaws in their website UI/UX I have a list of roughly 20. But not sure how I should reach out or even who I should reach out to. Im also thinking of expanding that but not entirely sure how.
Right so method of reaching out is quite simple but effective.

I have a template which basically I place the companies logo on the front - and my logo on the bottom underneath smaller
Some sort of proposal title. Whatever works for you.

Then a sample of the products/services I can offer.

I would have one the is just logos, just magazines, just large format etc.

And then one larger more encompassing one.

I basically then send the proposal of whatever I am interested in working with that company on.

Typically it goes
Front cover (logos + title)
Page 2 - brief intro and contacts
Page 3 - X - whatever I need to showcase
Page 4 - Some examples of success stories backed up by data
(page 4-x is a bit more tricky - you'd need info from successful clients - or even testemonials)

--------
Basically - my approach is to get the foot in the door.
Contact info
Show off some big/small client pages - with testemonials
Show off some data that backs up info in the proposal - perhaps using interesting infographics

As you are a UI/UX designer - doing an online version would be a cinch.

I find this way - you can change the colour of the proposal, the company logo (theirs) - and update it quite simply.

----
Typically I contact a company (by phones today)
Ask to speak to the person in which department is relevant.
Get a small dialogue and an opportunity to send the proposal.

Follow up within 2 days.
Follow up within 5 days
Follow up within 10 days
Follow up within 30 days

After that - I scrap them and move on.

---------

Right so method of reaching out is quite simple but effective.

I have a template which basically I place the companies logo on the front - and my logo on the bottom underneath smaller
Some sort of proposal title. Whatever works for you.

Then a sample of the products/services I can offer.

I would have one the is just logos, just magazines, just large format etc.

And then one larger more encompassing one.

I basically then send the proposal of whatever I am interested in working with that company on.

Typically it goes
Front cover (logos + title)
Page 2 - brief intro and contacts
Page 3 - X - whatever I need to showcase
Page 4 - Some examples of success stories backed up by data
(page 4-x is a bit more tricky - you'd need info from successful clients - or even testemonials)

--------
Basically - my approach is to get the foot in the door.
Contact info
Show off some big/small client pages - with testemonials
Show off some data that backs up info in the proposal - perhaps using interesting infographics

As you are a UI/UX designer - doing an online version would be a cinch.

I find this way - you can change the colour of the proposal, the company logo (theirs) - and update it quite simply.

----
Typically I contact a company (by phones today)
Ask to speak to the person in which department is relevant.
Get a small dialogue and an opportunity to send the proposal.

Follow up within 2 days.
Follow up within 5 days
Follow up within 10 days
Follow up within 30 days

After that - I scrap them and move on.

---------
Everything laid out here and the cadence will already be a game-changer for your outreach. If I may add...I think to make it easier you can use those automation tools marketers use to make the process much more succinct and smooth - if you need a guide reading through this might come in handy (@/moderator feel free to remove if it's not allowed just wanted to share a little bit of context).

Just a note tho, if you're using a tool you have to tailor it as if it's meant just for them. If you arent using a tool make it more personal like:
  1. Make it about them by sharing something useful or why you chose them (don't start by talking about yourself and how amazing you are)
  2. Personalize your email so it at least looks like you've spent some time learning about your prospect
  3. Keep it short and sweet, the more you can say in fewer words, the better.
So reaching out is also part art and part science. You're a graphic designer, I'm sure you have a lot of creative ways to capture those companies.

1. Make it about them by sharing something useful or why you chose them (don't start by talking about yourself and how amazing you are)
This really

It has to look personal.

That's why I tailor the products in the brochure or website to something they use and require.

Update!!! I got my first client!!!! Thought I'd share it here, cause it would've not happened if it wasn't for everyone's tips. Btw it's a fulfillment company based in America, they're looking to rebrand and add more sophisticated graphics to their website and overall branding. If you'll look here (not sure if I'm allowed to share) but it def needs a lot of work and I am so excited to bring my A-game for them!!!

The first thing that came to me was to thank everyone in this community!!!

Thank you everyone for the tips. It was a tough first month of waiting for something that may or may not push through. But I finally got the green light and am about to draft a contract!!! Soooo excited!!!

Just have one more question tho, any important tips on what I should include in the contract to be? Any do's and don'ts? I happen to ran into multiple business contract templates and guides (like this one) but it seems generic or is generic fine for now?
sample-contract-template.png
I think I'm overthinking everything oh my haha but please do let me know. HELP

Back