Need help with a design task

Nindja1

Hi,

I have been asked to complete a task. Can someone help me understand how to turning this problem into a visual representation?

Task:

Turn this into a graphic representation of the problem

"A company is seeking a numerical computational model and graphic user interface that is able to process the welding parameters in order to predict and graph the weld bead quality and other key weld attributes easy to be installed in a conventional computer with higher correlation at existing welding machines and processes."

Thank you
Niz

I'm guessing this is a 'course question'... and it really doesn't read as something a graphic designer would be doing, seems more numerical analysis, CAE at a push, type of thing to me....

Honest answer, speak to the person who supplied it, if you don't understand the request then the best course of action is always to speak to the person supplying said request. You'll waste far less time if you talk to the other person than you will trying to find an answer online.

The best I can come up with from what you've given us is basically a flow chart showing the process but no idea if that's right or not.

More info (including course if I'm correct in my assumption) might help though.

Hi Levi,

Thank you for your reply. Yes it is. I did contact them but haven't received a reply yet.
What they are asking is
'show us how innovative you think about how information can be presented. We get asked to convert some technical ideas to get a wider community to engage with the issue, what we would like you show you ideas for a particular issue we had to work on a few months ago'

So i think basically i need to convert the information into maybe an infographic.

thank you for your help. Much appreciated.

Hi Levi,

Thank you for your reply. Yes it is. I did contact them but haven't received a reply yet.
What they are asking is
'show us how innovative you think about how information can be presented. We get asked to convert some technical ideas to get a wider community to engage with the issue, what we would like you show you ideas for a particular issue we had to work on a few months ago'

So i think basically i need to convert the information into maybe an infographic.

thank you for your help. Much appreciated.
I'd only be doing that if they were paying me because there is no proof they've done anything and well it wouldn't be the first time a 'big company' has nicked someone elses idea and said it was theirs...

I hope you're not doing stuff for free/crowdsourcing, it really isn't worth it in the long run.

I'd only be doing that if they were paying me because there is no proof they've done anything and well it wouldn't be the first time a 'big company' has nicked someone elses idea and said it was theirs...

I hope you're not doing stuff for free/crowdsourcing, it really isn't worth it in the long run.
Hi Levi,

I know what you mean and agree with you. I have fallen for that in the past. Did mockups for companies which they used and never paid in the end. But this is more for my own learning. I'm trying to improve my brief interpretation by doing these tasks.

Thank you

Whats the full brief?
Hi,
The brief was to convert [link removed - Levi]

this issue to a visual asset. I first researched the topic to understand what the whole concept of the machine was and what they needed. They basically need to optimise the machine. So the brief asked me to represent this in visuals to be used on social media to engage more audiences.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've removed the link because it links to a crowdsourcing site and we don't like them. hankscorpio will be able to see it via history as he's a mod like I am.

I've removed the link because it links to a crowdsourcing site and we don't like them. hankscorpio will be able to see it via history as he's a mod like I am.
Ahh understandable. No worries. Thanks for letting me know.

Ahh understandable. No worries. Thanks for letting me know.
Just read an article on Forbes and understand fully now what you mean about crowdsourcing. Just to assure you I’m not a member of any such websites. I’m a graphic designer/Artworker who works for a charity organisation in UK. Been working as a full time designer for over 6 years.

To be fair, I saw it and understood you were not partaking but only using the brief.

Typically anyone promoting crowdsourcing sites can be bannef immediately.

To be fair, I saw it and understood you were not partaking but only using the brief.

Yes, Thanks for letting me know, I would never promote such platforms (didn’t know much about it either until I googled it today) English is not my first language and I got a feedback from a recruiter that I need a bit of work on my brief communication. I feel like sometimes I miss the point in very complicated technical briefs so was working on that.

Thank you.

That's why I didn't ban as well, it was an old brief from there so just removed the link and let them know why :)

Now I don't know what the full brief is - I saw it briefly.

But anyway - take a snippet of the brief and post it here.
Then show us your work and we can let you know.

Now I don't know what the full brief is - I saw it briefly.

But anyway - take a snippet of the brief and post it here.
Then show us your work and we can let you know.
Use the history button under the post :p

Award: Collaboration with Metalsa
Active Solvers: 58
Deadline: Under Evaluation
Tags: Electronic Request for Partners (eRFP)Computer/Info. TechnologyEngineering/DesignMath/StatisticsRequests for Partners and Suppliers
Challenge ID: 9934262

ABSTRACT
Metalsa designs and manufactures structural solutions for the mobility industry focused on those vehicles with a body-on-frame (BOF) architecture. BOF architectures are designed to perform with better off-road, towing and loading capabilities than unibody vehicles because of its flexibility-driven designed frame.
As materials and regulations evolve, frames’ complexity has also increased. To guarantee load-work optimization and avoid over-engineering, frames are designed to have over 150 different components, made by different materials (steel grades, coated materials, and aluminum components). Assembly processes represent the core of the frame manufacturing processes. Although different joining methods are used, gas metal arc welding (GMAW) is the most popular because of its high-speed and low-cost characteristics.
Because welding joints vary in material, length, thickness and shape, welding parameters must be optimized to guarantee the welding quality in every operation. To enable this, Metalsa is looking for collaboration partners with experience in developing machine learning and/or data analytics solutions for GMAW welding environments.
This is an electronic Request-for-Partners (eRFP) Challenge; the Solver will only need to submit a written proposal to be evaluated by the Seeker with the goal of establishing a collaborative partnership.

OVERVIEW
Gas metal arc welding (GMAW) processes are widely used throughout many industries. One if its main advantages is related to its speed, cost and that it is able to join thick materials. Although other types of joining are being used in the automotive industry, for the high-volume manufacturing of chassis frames, the GMAW is still the most used joining process.
GMAW assembly lines are technologically complex; they include a high number of robots, welding machines, vision systems, sensors and control elements to make sure that the joining processes comply with the expected quality.
Metalsa is seeking a numerical computational model and graphic user interface that is able to process the welding parameters in order to predict and graph the weld bead quality and other key weld attributes easy to be installed in a conventional computer with higher correlation at existing welding machines and processes.
To expedite development and application, Metalsa is seeking for partners who have experience in similar applications and whose benefit may be proven. Although all partners with industrial similar developments may be considered, those that may understand the complexity of a welding process will have a higher probability of being selected.
This is an electronic Request-for-Partners (eRFP) Challenge. The Solver will write a preliminary proposal (about 2-4 pages, including supporting non-confidential information and contact details) to be evaluated by the Seeker with a goal of establishing a collaborative partnership. Upon completion of the evaluation, the Seeker may contact selected Solvers directly to work out terms for a collaboration contract. The monetary value of the contract will vary depending on the amount of work to be delivered and the agreed upon time frame.
Submissions to this Challenge must be received by 11:59 PM (US Eastern Time) on October 18, 2020.
Late submissions will not be considered.

ABOUT THE SEEKER
Metalsa is a private company and a subsidiary of Proeza Group. We manufacture tier 1 and tier 2 structural components for the light and commercial vehicle markets. Our portfolio includes light duty frames, space frames, suspension modules, body structures, safety systems, transmission modules and fuel tanks for light vehicles as well as chassis frames, side rails and cross members of heavy trucks and buses.
Our culture is a strong asset to foster collaboration and communication in order to support efficient decision-making processes. We continually strive to eliminate barriers of collaboration and seek for human development and the well-being of our communities. We create a multicultural team who provide Metalsa the opportunity to offer solutions to the customer with a strategically global perspective.

Back