My Portfolio Website

JKDesigns

Haven't really done alot with web design, although I know how to do it! See how you think its put together etc, I'd love your feedback. I dont know if there is any errors in Internet Explorer, I think there is a couple. I use Mozilla FireFox and there's no page load errors for me. See whatcha think, any improvements you think I should make :)

.:: Home | JK Designs ::.

Thanks,

See whatcha think!

James

Hey man,

A couple of picky typographic points for you to consider or ignore: on the home page your type's ranged left, and on the the other two pages it's centered! One or the other (preferably left aligned), NOT both.

On the portfolio page, I would break or reword that text so "the gallery" isn't sitting down there all on it's own. Not technically a 'widow' but it might as well be, there's also a typo on that page, cap Y after a comma.

From a business point of view (and this is a very personal opinion) I would remove the "no coding" bit. Don't tell your clients that, sub the work to someone who can code it and add it to the bill (plus 10% for you).

Hi James,

Agree with the points Matt has raised above, on a more general view I would consider designing the site in PSD/PNG format then hiring a developer to slice and code it with HTML/CSS. As it's currently making too much use of images, which will limit what information the search engines can crawl, limit what you can actually do in way of showing off your work and may appear unprofessional to potential clients who may be interested in getting their new site coded with you.

Hope that helps!
Greg

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah I think the alignment problem is because of some weird thing that happened in DreamWeaver, but it'll be easily fixed and I shall do that!

@ Greg - I think focusing on Images is a bad thing aswel! But I have a few other template designs in the bag and Im mainly concentrating on the text side of things!

Thanks again :)

JKDesigns said:
@ Greg - I think focusing on Images is a bad thing aswel! But I have a few other template designs in the bag and Im mainly concentrating on the text side of things!

Hi James,

No problems, have you thought of trying to build your site on an opensource CMS like Wordpress then customizing a theme to fit your design? Or you could even look to purchase a theme as a starting point and then customize the CSS and graphics to suit your design?

WooThemes has a couple of great portfolio base themes available that might suit your design quite well - Fresh Folio or Proud Folio

I wouldn't usually suggest buying a theme like that for your own site, but I think as you're new to the website coding side of things it could be a great route for you to look into :)

Greg

James,

For me (and this might just be a personal thing) the site feels a bit busy and little unplanned structure wise.

I might have suggested taking a trawl through CSSRemix or WebCreme and getting an idea of how to structure your information on specific pages (as apposed to site wide) especially with your homepage. Once you get that right, then think about the design and how to fit that in around your info structure.

Back