Moving Infographics

Danielle

Hi, apologies if I'm not in the correct group for this question.
When creating an infographic that has moving parts eg, a flame on a candle that flickers, is there a way to create the infographic in a small file size, so that it can then be uploaded to a blog without breaking the web page? Currently the file sizes are too big and I don't know a way around this.
Thanks

It depends. When you say 'breaking the web page', do you mean having the infographic made up of multiple images? Having the animated gifs as separate images will make the file size much smaller than having a the whole thing as a singular animated gif.

Alternatively, you could have the image in one piece, minus the animated elements, which you could then add separately, positioning them with CSS and animating them with JavaScript. In this scenario, the infographic would only work on that website and couldn't be shared like a gif could, but then again neither could a graphic made up of several images.

Here's a large interactive infographic I did several years ago that employs both methods: http://wacdesign.com/newbuyguide.com/

Hi, thanks for this.
I'm not actually the designer - I'm the content creator. My idea was to create "sections" that would look like an infographic when uploaded one below the other on the same page. But because they were actually separate pieces with one moving element within each piece, this would mean the image size would be smaller for each one. But my designer thinks that this would still be too large an image size for most blogs. And therefore they wouldn't upload properly or the page might crash when someone tried to look at it. He's using photoshop and the moving images would be gifs. Not sure how this was done, but it's a great example. http://neomam.neomamstudios1.netdna...ds/2015/02/butterfly-animated-infographic.gif

That's just one big animated gif. Another disadvantage to having all the animated parts on one gif is that the colour palette is limited. Generally speaking though, gifs can be very small in file size.

Back