Looking for wannabe Comic Book Artist

Michael Porter

Firstly, I would like to say that I believe that this is in the right place but if it is not, please just let me know and I will move it.

I am an unpublished writer and I have am trying to break into the comic book industry. I know it is, generally, extremely difficult but it is impossible unless you have a team that can produce a complete comic book without the need for extra help.

I am looking for someone that is looking to take a risk and is interested in being the graphic designer for a comic book project I am trying to get off the ground. I have currently written the first comic along with a plan for the following seven which would conclude the first story arc.

For anyone who has never seen a comic manuscript, this is an example of the layout:
and here is where you can see how that script translates into an actual comic:

So, for anyone that is interested and believes they want to take the jump then please contact me and I will explain everything going forward.
Thank you,

I am looking for someone that is looking to take a risk

Oh dear, does that mean they are not going to get paid?!

Are you looking for an artist or a graphic designer, or both? And what does 'wannabe' mean, you want someone inexperienced and probably end up
with an inferior product?

You are correct, there is no money up front however I do have plans for once the first comic has been created. This is why I have placed this here and not in "Tenders & Services".

Technically, I am looking for someone who can draw/create the physical comic from the script I have but I am not sure if that would be an artist, an illustrator or a graphic designer. I suppose it comes down to personal ability and what people wish to call themselves.

Honestly, I feel that someone with less experience would be more willing to take a risk but I am looking for anyone who is interested. Plus, I don't think inexperience automatically means it will be an an inferior product, I like to think that there are some really talented people that just haven't had chances.

Basically, you need a comic book artist/illustrator who can hopefully do the layouts too, though the layout is something you could learn to do
yourself or it could be done by your publisher/printer.

If you're not willing to fork out for a fee then you probably need someone that's fresh out of uni or maybe head over to somewhere like Deviantart. If you can afford to
pay someone then they would probably have to be from a different country and hence likely would accept a lower fee, but you won't find them on a graphic design forum.

Illustrating comics is so time-consuming. Think about it - you're asking someone to do most of the work with no guarantee that they'll get anything from it. I think you need to
offer a small fee at least, along with a percentage of royalties.

That's a good point,I'm sorry, I had completely forgot to put that this is a partnership thing, 50/50.
Once the first comic is done, I will be using that to talk to publishers as well as considering a crowdfunding thing to fund the rest of the arc and everything would be as part of a partnership / team.

You need to find an artist who's also looking for a writer, someone who's in a similar position to yourself but on the art side and is looking to collaborate. The chances are slim you'll find an artist who's got the skills you need and will just work for free. Ideally you need to find someone interested in a partnership whereby you can work on the book together. I've met a fair few artists at comic cons who are selling their own indie comics. If I were you I'd focus on networking directly, try and meet some local artists, go to meet up events and conventions, and get talking to these people with the aim being to eventually collaborate. That's where you can pitch you idea and hopefully find an artist who's interested.

You likely will need to find the funds to pay someone something, even if it's just so you can get a draft together so you can start approaching publishers or even other artists. Good art isn't free and free art generally isn't good. If you have no funds, maybe offer your own services as a writer on a freelancing site and use that money to put towards an artist from the same site. Personally I'd be looking at finding someone local, or at the very least in the same country you can work together in a physical location once in a while.

Back