Logo: Challenging, abstract design goal!

Reverend Speed

Hey folks! I'm a 3D modeller and a Unity programmer, and I run the Fixed Camera Appreciation Society, a Steam Group for folks who like games like the original Resident Evils, the first Alone in the Darks, Dino Crisis etc. It's a niche interest, but we dig those games and the care and attention put into their visual composition! =D
1653638098405.pngAlone in the Dark (1992)
1653637956750.pngResident Evil (1996)
1653638147015.pngTormented Souls (2021)

When I started the group, I threw together a basic representational image, seen here...
icon01001x256RS.png
It's a fast, rough sketch, but it's served us well enough for a few months. With the group growing, I'm thinking of doing some videos for promotion - but I really need to develop a proper logo for the group.

The trick is - 'Fixed Camera Appreciation Society' is quite an abstract concept and tricky (for me, at least!) to boil down into a distinctive, clear image. I've brainstormed some related elements / imagery...

Indication image is from a camera: Lens / viewfinder / fisheye / chromatic aberration /
Representation of camera: Tripod / stand / old camera bodies /
Representation of appreciation: Heart / thumbs up / 5 stars
Representation of computer 3d: frustum / vanishing point / 3 point perspective

...but it's kinda hard to capture the essence of these games - the idea of the third person character in a composed fixed camera shot...!

I drew up a few sketches to see if I could find some new ideas...
1653638496008.png1653638540056.png
...playing around maybe with some kind of lens frame... (super early render)
1653638598807.png
...before ultimately coming back to the original idea, with a slightly better framing and background:
icon02001x256RS.png
...Still not great, though. I'd love to work out some simple, clear design with a nice silhouette and clean lines. I'm a decent modeller (despite the images on this page) and it'd be nice to do something that could be animated in 2D or 3D as well.

At this stage, I think I just need a fresh set of eyes, or pokes or prods in the right direction. If you guys have any notions, please feel free to send 'em my way... =)

--Rev

I am gathering this is for a logo.

You're better off keeping it simple like your sketches.
As far as logos go this would be classed as extremely complex.

If it's just for online use then it might be ok. But think longer term for printing merchandise, or adding a logo to packaging, or displaying on another persons website at a smaller size.

Take a look at Steams own logo - very simple - works at many sizes - and can be easily used in print if needed.

I get what you're after - but it doesn't have to be a representation of the outcome of the work.

When you size down your logo
1653648970587.png

You can't even read the text

You've rendered this completely in 3D
1653649078235.png

I'd suggest to do this as a line drawing only.
Keep a simple black/white line drawing as one version to use in situtaitons
Then add colour to another version of the same logo

You can add the text as text to the side - not everything has to be effect.

You can also then use just the Robot - or the love heart in situations
Or the frame of the logo to frame other things or a simple FavIcon.

-----------
Bulk of the breakdown - simplify - less is more.

Thank you, Hank!

Sorry, I should have put 'Logo' in the title of the topic. I'd make the change to the post, but I can't seem to find an 'edit' button anywhere on the page...!

Very much appreciate your advice - I do intend streamlining the logo and making it a clear and legible B&W vector line drawing. I'm fairly comfortable with that process. =)
Bulk of the breakdown - simplify - less is more.
Absolutely! The 3D renders should really be considered as quick sketches - I'm not spending much time on them, just throwing out ideas.

Your point is taken on the text around the lens - I was basically playing about with this kinda theme at the time, more rapid ideation than trying to achieve text legibility.
1653656960852.png
You've rendered this completely in 3D
1653649078235.png
Yeah, I ended up going back to my original idea and cleaning up the composition. Looking at my second render with a little distance, I'm actually vaguely happy with the layout of the elements there.

My main problem, as I initially stated, is:
The trick is - 'Fixed Camera Appreciation Society' is quite an abstract concept and tricky (for me, at least!) to boil down into a distinctive, clear image.
I've tried to find a visual scheme that encapsulates 'Fixed Camera' and 'Appreciation' and... I can't seem to find anything better than a 3D guy with a heart and a viewfinder. =/

Do those basic elements work? Is there another iconic element that I'm not considering which better represents the topic?

Trying to get 'society' in here is tricky also. I guess I could have a bunch of people crowded around a fixed camera with hearts above their heads, but then you're not really capturing what's attractive about the form.
1653658686523.png
There's maybe something funny about a bunch of people crowding into the shot, but you lose the sense of the 3d environment, and perhaps it's overcomplicating the design.

Ultimately, still trying to find iconic elements to capture 'Fixed Camera Appreciation Society', still unsure about the design I've gone back to...

You've got some good sketches there - I'd start by simplifying them and keeping them basic enough.
Pick a few you think look good - and hold a few back in reserve.

You're on the right track.

Around your sketches get to somewhere like this
1653668264972.png

Wilco! Thanks Hank! I guess I'll keep iterating. Thanks for the examples! (I take it you think the 'thin line' treatment works for this!)

I'll try to find some other candidates from my sketches. I had the idea of using a hexagon to imply the 3D quality of the room, so I might experiment there. I guess we'll see. =)

Briefly, just for reference, here's an example of a previous logo that I've worked on for a company (unrelated to the current project/topic)
1653669698868.png

Further blind groping towards some kind of a logo. Again, though rendered, this is a SKETCH, purely intended as an arrangement of possibly useful elements, namely:

* Wireframe environment / square on ground to indicate perspective
* Heart to indicate appreciation
* Viewfinder 'L’s to indicate this is a camera POV
* Person to indicate camera awareness and locate the heart’s appreciation of camera
1653800783061.png
Still seems complicated. Too many elements? Like, ideally, you’d want something as simple and clever as the Fed Ex logo… but how do you cut down ‘Liking fixed multicam approach in games’?
Rrrgh. Too much stuff.

Should I just go with a lens ‘frame’? That moves away from ‘mounted camera’ and more into voyeurism / posing for picture territory…

To clarify, I think I'm sorta headed in this kinda treatment / direction:
1653800938329.png

EDIT:
(Quick dutch/reframe)
1653801207550.png

Definitely the jaunty angle of the character gives the impression you see in the games.

I know you want to clean this up the same as the Bandit Slogan stock image.

Overall - I think it's a good concept. Just need tuning now.
Try to keep it as simple as possible.
Check how it looks at small sizes - medium - and large sizes.

And just as a tip stay away from really fine lines.

Game design, graphic design is my dream, how can I pursue it?
Firstly, it is usually better to start a new thread, rather than tack your question onto the bottom of another.

In answer to your question. That’s an easy one. Get yourself educate. It’s the best ways of building a solid, sustainable career. Not an internet course. A good reputable, in-person, university. A lot of what you will learn is through group critiques. This is hugely important in developing your skills as a designer.

What stage of the game are you at now?

Firstly, it is usually better to start a new thread, rather than tack your question onto the bottom of another.

In answer to your question. That’s an easy one. Get yourself educate. It’s the best ways of building a solid, sustainable career. Not an internet course. A good reputable, in-person, university. A lot of what you will learn is through group critiques. This is hugely important in developing your skills as a designer.

What stage of the game are you at now?
Thank you very much. I understand your.

After a long time, came back to the project, have done a little more experimentation. As ever, images are sketches, thinking visually about composition:
97818086.42_image.png
So, the thought came to mind about cameramen - instead of just appreciating the angles, perhaps the logo could be about appreciating the craft that went into choosing each angle, making sure it worked for gameplay and was visually appealing.

Hence, some ideas about a pictogram logo showing the player character appreciating the cameraman/angle...
1663033257307.png
187317102.83500004_image.png
187518397.015_image.png
Side on, orthographic:
187580103.44500002_image.png
3/4, perspective:
187671072.62_image.png
3/4, orthographic:
188103411.31_image.png
Thinking of some kind of treatment like this,
187781086.33000007_image.png
Finally, another symbol for 'appreciation', an air kiss: (unsure if I'll use it, though)
187919918.33_image.png
Any thoughts, comments, suggestions welcome.

Classic case of thinking about it too much and trying to come up with something really clever, when in reality, simple is usually best.

I would go for something retro like the Creative logo and just have FCAS in there.

Saying that, what's wrong with the logo you have already? Lose the heart though - too literal.

I would go for something retro like the Creative logo and just have FCAS in there.
Do you mean, something like show the camera and then just have the words 'Fixed Camera Appreciation Society'? Not sure I understood this note.

Just have someone looking up at the camera? I can take a crack at that.

Yeah, maybe I'm trying to fit too much into the logo with the heart. Hmm.

Just go with the angle (so, possibly some floor indicator) and the viewfinder and some character...?

Thanks for the notes, @Wardy ...!

Converting a 3D design into the inverted monochrome sort of style logo just will not work.... this is coming from someone who works in 3D design.

Throw away the 3D concept stuff, you need to think purely in 2D.

You've also got to consider scale of the logo as well, when you shrink it down it will lose a lot of legibility, especially if you try and use a 3D concept

Do you mean, something like show the camera and then just have the words 'Fixed Camera Appreciation Society'? Not sure I understood this note.

Yes, predominantly typographical, maybe have FIXED CAMERA dominant and the the rest underneath, there's various ways of doing it. The camera image could be almost steampunk style
to fit with the retro feel.

Then I saw the image on your site and thought it looked fine as it was!

Back