Local Competition to help recruit?

Cruzini

I'm looking to recruit a young fresh faced graphic designer from the local area. I was considering offering a competition to the local college to current (& recently left) students.

Does this sound a little naive or has onyone tried this.

My thoughts are by giving 'a design brief & timescale and a chance to get some cash at the end' entrants/applicants will need to be focused.

I only require a designer, the material wouldn't be for a client. Purely to help selection.

Am I mad? :crazy:

Just get in touch with the tutor directly and ask them if they can recommend one or two students. Invite them for an interview as you would any employee, along with their portfolio (which is what it's for), and if you like their work and their personality, give them the job.

It's an interesting approach. However, I'd be more likely to look at their portfolio, interview them in person (as Paul said). The other thing I would do it give them a practical exercise where they sit at the computer and put together say, a leaflet. This way you can sit with them to see how they cope under pressure and how they manage their way around the required applications.

I know that's what's happened to me in the past and look at me now, working in McDonalds :icon_wink:

The other thing I would do it give them a practical exercise where they sit at the computer and put together say, a leaflet. This way you can sit with them to see how they cope under pressure and how they manage their way around the required applications.

I agree with this. It's important that you can work with the designer you're hiring, especially if you'll be working face to face. Perhaps offer them a trial period rather than a competition? It's important to remember that they will probably improve dramatically as your relationship improves. I look back at early work I did for a repeat client and cringe. But now that we have a great working relationship and I understand exactly what they want, my work for them has improved significantly, as has my speed.

totally agree with the above another thing you could also so is a quiz/questionaire with images of the different tools in differant programs and ask them what they are and what they do.

The other thing I would do it give them a practical exercise where they sit at the computer and put together say, a leaflet. This way you can sit with them to see how they cope under pressure and how they manage their way around the required applications.

Ive done this in the past as well and have found it really effective. I've given 2 15min tests - one a straight forward recreation of previous artwork to see how efficiently they use the software. The second a creative brain storm (either sketched or on computer) to see how creative they can be under time constraint. Have found some great junior designers that way.

Another thing to look at is an apprenticeship program. Most big colleges offer the scheme now. It's great experience for final year students and you get access to fresh young talent. I think it might even be government subsidised, but not sure on that one.

At the end of my competition I would have (hopely) a pool of local individuals from which I could shortlist to offer inhouse tests. Thats really stage 2 in the process. Where I would apply time based projects to judge them but also allow us to see if we might gel together in the workplace. I realise it takes time to get comfortable in a new work environment.

But initially I'm looking to inspire motivation for employment. Being good at design doesn't mean you actually want to work or look for it.
A tutor can recommend someone but if that individual doesn't see an opportunity and apply themselves to get shortlisted with their demonstrated skills it would be wasted effort.
I have watched colleagues do this year in, year out hoping to get a focused employee when really trainees get some experience and quickly move on. I'm not planning a free training system.

Getting a grant is not relevant in selection but is probably well appreciated if it ties into the overall business planning. A good designer will cover their costs in short space of time.

I gather no one has offered a competition as I mentioned as a pooling (pre-selection) method.

Back