Irrelevent info on a CV

Hello!

I'm in the process of updating my CV; specifically to apply for jobs in the Graphic Design field. I've mentioned before I've never had employment as a designer, so obviously I don't have the advantage of being able to write about all the previous experience I have, or any rave references from past employers.

Basically all I can talk about is my GCSE'S, my time at College (studied animal care, which is totally pointless) my University study, and then my actual employment which is all retail based, except for a brief stint where I worked on a farm.

Is a prospective Graphic Design employer really going to give a toss if I have a B-Tec PE qualification? Or care whether or not I can operate a shop till? Obviously the downside to not mentioning any of this is, is an empty looking CV that makes it look as if I've never been to school or college, and like I've never had a job before; unless I briefly mention it in my cover letters?

Should I just highlight my strengths and skills within Graphic Design? I'll also be sending my portfolio, so hopefully that will backup my claims of what I'm capable of.

Sorry for waffling! (Again)
Thanks in advance.

College credentials show a willingness to learn. So you can swing that in favour on your cv. The cv can also show that you can make the best of your situation, you took a course, got your degree. It's also a chance for you to show or talk about how skills could be interchangeable.

PE qualification - talk about how much energy it has given you to be active. How you communicate through language and body language etc. Dress it up as a positive to the role you are applying for. Communications, speech, leadership, getting unwilling people to do things they don't want to do (exercise!)

Obviously put your graphic design stuff first - then the other stuff.

If they see your graphic design stuff they might not even get to the waffle-y part about the interchangeable skills.

I did an experiment before with 3 different CV layouts. One got the most replies that was the one I used from then on.

Also include in your cover letter all things that make your skills interchangeable in an office, ability to take direction, learning, on-hands experience with new skills etc.

Dress it up.

There are really no set rules for how you compile your resume - provided that the information you include is accurate
and doesn’t misrepresent who you are or what you’ve done. As @hankscorpio has mentioned adding education
whether relevant or not is good to be considered in a CV.

I'd agree with all the above.

With no experience, your cover letter and portfolio are your priorty. ( In all honesty we only look at CV's right at the end of the process to help fill in any gaps ). Your covering letter can sell your personality, your cultural fit, your drive and desire. Your portfolio sells your current skills.
Your CV is a list of stuff that is largely irrelevant for the position you're after but its an expected part of the process.
Experience of not, if your folio doesn't show a level of basic skills and an idea of where you are and where you're trying to go, then you won't get much interest. Sorry to be blunt but there's a lot of competition and they'll all of been through the same youtube tutorials. So I think, if you can, spend some time on personalising your folio, and showing progression, thats always time well spent.

Don't fall into the trap of asking what employers want to see because we want to see you, not an impersonation, or the same tutorial images as everyone else. Every job is different and you can't be expected to fullfil all the requirements ( which are often made-up, HR/marketing BS).
Most employers know that and make allowances. Lots of things can be taught/learnt, except for raw talent. That usually shines through, experience of not.

Back