iPad vs the World

BDCLouise

Do you have one yet? Or know someone who thinks this is the best thing since sliced bread? The new Apple iPad, a high tech, funky device that is offering new ways to consume and interact with content.

With the launch of the iPhone, you would think the iPad would be every household’s “must have” of the century for every digital geek out there, you will either have an iPhone or at least tried one, but overall, only around five percent of the UK population has an in iPhone. It is always enjoyable to play with shiny new devices and cool technology, but no matter how appealing the iPad is, we are being told in everyday life this is the way forward to replace our trusty laptops, as we know it.

Now all the hype has died down and the dust has settled, the main question that everyone’s asking is ‘What is the iPad for?’. It’s fair to say that the reaction to the iPad has been mixed - too expensive, too much hype, waste of money but the bottom line is this little gizmo has truly exceptional features.

Now you’ve had a chance to admire this slinky new tablet, make it yours. You can change the background image of your iPad and freely arrange your apps and bookmarks as desired. The iPad offers a new and flexible way to view your existing media, so you can sync the device to your videos, music, photos, and more. This is perfect if you’re always on the go (that dedicated commuter) or stuck in a waiting room somewhere. If you're not planning to link your iPad up to another computer, you can always use iTunes on iPad to gain access to millions of songs, as well as loads of movies, TV shows, podcasts, and more. Without the physical heft of a laptop or the limiting screen size of the iPhone, the iPad might be the best way possible to casually surf the web. You can read it in any position on the couch, use it in bed, or even lay it flat on the coffee table (Hallelujah).

Another fantastic feature is digital films and TV shows, no more late fees from Blockbusters as you can now access gorgeous high definition videos from iTunes, which is packed full of Hollywood goodies such as; The Hangover, Book of Eli, Twilight Saga; New Moon or catch up on the hit shows like LOST, True Blood or The Office. If this wasn’t enough, Apple has also designed a new iBooks app which lets you purchase and read eBooks with an impressive array of options. You can turn pages with a tap or flick of the screen, adjust the font style or size to best fit your needs, and even look up words using the app's built-in dictionary. The iBookstore promises to host bestsellers, literary classics, and a selection of free options, so you shouldn't have a problem finding something that strikes your fancy. This is just a snap shot of the many features available on the iPad.

When the iPad was launched I didn’t fancy buying one, I thought it’s the same as the iPhone features but on a bigger screen but now I haven’t looked back – it’s a fantastic device which should be on everyone’s wish list for Christmas 2010 ... if Santa was real (sorry children), I’m sure he would be using one and promoting Apple on his sleigh.

The iPad's fine so long as you accept that it's essentially a tricksy portal to Apple's online stores.

Yeah totally agreed Dave, I do think though that what they've done with it is essentially really good, with all the things it can actually do, it's really quite brilliant.

wait.. santa.. isn't...real?!!?! :(

I have boycotted Apple products like i boycott most designer clothes. You pay for a brand not a good product.

I'm put off the iPad because as mentioned it's expensive, but it also doesn't seem practical for what I would use it for. I have an iPod already, and if I needed to keep in touch with people on the move I'd probably just invest in a SmartPhone.

I'm not an Apple fan boy though I do own a Mac, and although they have a hefty price tag, I strongly feel the price is justified in the long run. You can definitely see where Apple have thought about the design of their products too.

Still wouldn't buy an iPad though :p

Well I've seen what people can do with iPhones, in the way of unlocking, hacking & personalizing them, I know that Apple are holding back what they can really do with their technology.
the iPad though I think has 1 main flaw, that's the shape, I know it's meant to be a pad but, it's too much like a big crisp, holding it feels like you could crack it or snap it and if you dropped it, there's no chance if it landed on its side, it would totally damage it.

I'm put off iPhone's for that exact reason. It's nice to have a phone, ipod, and everything else rolled into one, but if it breaks, then you've lost them all.

iPhones are damn sexy but from what my friends have told me, you have to treat them like they're a new born baby. Perhaps they're just overly protective of them though :p

Back