Invoicing

Tony Hardy

Hey everyone.

So I'm at the stage now where I'm getting a few enquiries off people I know/freelance jobs I've applied for.

I've got my T+C set out, I've got my invoice template now just one piece of advice.

I plan of a 50 start 50 on completion plan, so, once the project and T+C is accepted, do I then send the client an invoice for 50% of the payable amount, then again at the end?

Also, which ways work for you guys in regards to payment methods (this should probably also be outline in my T+C?)

Cheers
Tony

Hey Tony

Invoice for 50% before you start anything, once received do the job and get it signed off, then invoice for the balance and once received release the files...

Unless you want to be able to accept card payments via your own merchant account...Bank Transfer, Cheque or Paypal should suffice.

Cheers Damon.

Do you get the clients to cover the Paypal fees too? And how do you estimate them?

I think when I'm ordering print for it, the client is going to ahve to cover 100% of the print fee up front, then 50% of the design fee.

To be honest we don't accept Paypal as we have a merchant account so not sure how others deal with this, maybe take the hit, or, if customers choose to pay in that way charge them 2% extra or whatever it is, cheque or bank transfer are enough really though.

With regards to print, if you are going to source the print for them then yes I would have 100% of this money up front before the job even touches the press.

Cheers Damon.

Do you get the clients to cover the Paypal fees too? And how do you estimate them?

I think when I'm ordering print for it, the client is going to ahve to cover 100% of the print fee up front, then 50% of the design fee.

Definitely. If there is one thing you do, then make sure it is this.

Paypal charges a standard 3.5% fee, all I have done is add to the T&C that there is a 3.5% surcharge for paying by Paypal. Haven't had any issues thus far.

I invoice 50% on receipt of a signed contract/agreement then invoice the final 50% pre-press. That way My fee and the print costs have been covered before the job has been printed and I can't be left out of pocket if the client changes their mind on a job thats been sent to press.

I only use printers I trust so I know that if for some reason there is an issue, they'll want to fix it.

The 50% upfront is also very helpful because it makes the client commit to the job. If they've already laid down cash they're more likely to interact with you in a constructive way.

One thing I also do is specify that the price you've quoted for the design includes X number of sets of revisions. Anything over that is billed at an hourly rate. This tends to focus the client's mind and ensure that you don't get trapped in development hell!

On print, as a couple of people here can attest, I don't even open the artwork until I've seen the money. Once I've been dealing with someone for a couple of months / five or six orders then I'll relax that, but only if the client has always held up their end of the bargain (which everyone that I've met on GDF does - because they're decent people!)

I know a lot of people do the 50/50 thing but I don't like it at all. If I don't know a client and they don't know what to expect of me, it seems unfair to demand part-payment upfront and, if I do know them, then they and I both know what to expect so the distrust implied becomes redundant. In short, I'd be suspicious of a supplier who wanted paying in advance so I don't ask people to do the same with me: you back yourself to make clients happy and you live and learn when things get awkward.

I don't even get involved when it comes to paying for print: I'll effect an introduction to a very carefully assessed and trusted printer where requested and handle all of the print liaison but see no reason to get financially involved or carry any of the risk that's involved at this stage. I also never, ever sign-off proofs - I'll make any corrections required pre-press, that being the designer's job, but that's the point: a designer isn't a printer and, once I've done my bit, it's out of my hands - two entirely different relationships to my mind.

Hey everyone.

So I'm at the stage now where I'm getting a few enquiries off people I know/freelance jobs I've applied for.

I've got my T+C set out, I've got my invoice template now just one piece of advice.

I plan of a 50 start 50 on completion plan, so, once the project and T+C is accepted, do I then send the client an invoice for 50% of the payable amount, then again at the end?

Also, which ways work for you guys in regards to payment methods (this should probably also be outline in my T+C?)

Cheers
Tony

Congrats on your success of getting enquiries for job. I suggest you to make invoice from fetchflow.com | Invoice Designs free and with your own name so that it will look professional. It will create great impression on your clients.

Back