Indesign Magazine

zenicman9

Hi

I was wondering if someone can help me, I have just started my college course in graphic design and have been tasked to make a Magazine in Design

I was wondering if anyone has a magazine template they could send me to give me some help?

Thanks

I think the point of the exercise is for you to create your own magazine layout, with columns, text/images boxes etc, as a way of learning the program. Using an already created layout would be pointless for your development.

Thanks,
I wasn’t asking for a full magazine, Just more of the basic layout I have no idea where to start in indesign and there doesn’t seem to be a new-Template function

I know you weren't asking for a full magazine layout design, but they're asking you to do this, simply to learn some of the bits and pieces in In Design. So using master pages, columns and grids etc. And obviously being on a design course, you'd want to design something yourself right?

Yes and no, I will never need to make Magazines in the real life as I want the graphic design skills for web work mainly

Listen to Arrivals, you're on a graphics course! if you are this inflexable this early on you will setting yourself up for a very hard time. Your tutor wants you to learn this!

You might not think you'll ever need to create a magazine but you'll still need to understand grids and columns when creating a website layout.

My advice is to keep an open mind and learn as much as possible about every aspect of design.

If you were looking for a job at my company, you'd need excellent web skills as well as being able to use InDesign / Illustrator / Photoshop.

If you were looking for a job at my company, you'd need excellent web skills as well as being able to use InDesign / Illustrator / Photoshop.

Any jobs going at your company? I have all of the above :icon_tongue_smilie:

ha ha - 10 out of 10 for being quick off the mark.

By all means send me your CV and work samples as I could very well be looking for another freelancer in the New Year (and include your hourly / daily rate).

Cheers

Can I send you something too? My usp is spelling and grammar - you have a couple of typos on your website!

Haha I love the direction this thread has taken.
Back on topic. I just did a type project for uni in Indesign so I find your attitude quite... weird?
you clearly need to learn all kinds of software. there's pleanty of tutorials online, get searching.
Rather than a template, go a grab your favourite magazine and flick through that picking out what works well, then play with it and make it your own.

thanks for letting me know about the spelling - by all means send me your CV and work samples as well.

NB: After Kate's work samples have arrived, I won't be able to accept any further CV's from other designers

Thanks,
I wasn’t asking for a full magazine, Just more of the basic layout I have no idea where to start in indesign and there doesn’t seem to be a new-Template function

Really? You can't find the 'new' button? It's under file/new/document. Where you go from there is up to you. 'You' have to decide on grid layout, margins, etc. If you can't come up with an idea in your head and apply that to a programme then I'm afraid you're going to find the graphic design business a very difficult beast.

I don't want to come across as being mean, but as others have said you've been given this task to help you learn. I know you don't see a future in the print industry but there's more to graphic design than just building websites. You've been given this task for a reason and basic layout and aesthetics are the fundamentals of design. Applying those fundamentals to something as simple as a magazine is crutial.

If you're really really stuck, do a search on youtube for InDesign tutorials, there's tons of them. That'll get you started.

Last edited:
I learnt indesign last year on my course, and yes it is tricky when you get started.

But soon you'll be wizzing through it :D

On your course are you not taught the software?
Where are you studying :)
I made a magazine about Plymouth and it's marine life :D

x

Hi

I was wondering if someone can help me, I have just started my college course in graphic design and have been tasked to make a Magazine in Design

I was wondering if anyone has a magazine template they could send me to give me some help?

Thanks

If your tutor has asked you to produce a magazine layout un-assisted it would lead me to believe that they've either taught you the basics already (and you weren't listening) or they want to see how much you know to best plan future lessons. Either way, finding short cuts really wont help you! If you're struggling, ask the tutor for help or advice on what's in the college library that may help you..

You've got a huge amount to learn about traditional graphic design and at this point in your career, the medium is almost irrelevant.

Back