InDesign – Exporting a Booklet as a PDF?

Paul Murray

Ultimate Member
Is there anyway to export an InDesign book as a PDF with the correct imposition of pages, like when you select 'Print Booklet'?

I basically need to create a test print of a project for uni, but can't print double-sided at home without printing the odd pages then the even pages on the reverse, but as far as I can see InDesign only wants to print the booklet in one go, to an actual printer.

Exporting as a PDF doesn't work, it either exports the pages in number order as single pages or as two page spreads. There's no option to select a PDF printer from the dialogue either.

I've figured it out, thanks to some help via Twitter. I basically printed it to a PostScript file (ensuring the pages were centered in the printer settings) and then opened this file in Preview. I can then save it as a PDF or print the pages as and when I want to.

I have something called 'Inbooklet SE' - I have no idea where it came from - but it may be worth googling. It does what you want it to do. Alternatively just make a pdf of your sequential pages and then make up an Indesign file at spread-size, place the pages in that in the imposed order and export as a pdf! Unless it's a book it doesn't take long!

Back