Idiots Guide to UI Design

davewill

As some of you will know, Im a print designer by trade, I have very basic knowledge of web design and Im looking to expand my skill set to make myself more employable in the future. I've seen a lot of job adverts lately for UI Designers and App Designers. I'd love to find out more so Im hoping someone here on the boards can give me a quick overview and maybe point me in the right direction to find out more.
What kinds of software skills does a UI Designer need? Would you literally design interfaces in illustrator/photoshop and then pass on those designs to a developer or would some coding be expected?
Also, are there online guides to app design? Is that the same kind of thing where the designer would create designs for pages then pass it over to developers for coding?
I'd really appreciate any advice or guidance you lot may have!

Not really into ui design but I do know that all the major phone os's have guidelines to help in the designs of their apps.

Thanks Levi, Im wondering if its worth me applying for jobs Im seeing for UI designers or not. Ive got strong photoshop/illustrator skills but very basic web knowledge.

not sure on that one lol.... I do know that 'web based' interfaces are becoming quite common again and then there's software out there that supposedly converts flash to android for example.
I suppose at the basic level of ui design it is literally the same principle as a website, wireframes, design of any interface that sort of thing. After that then I'm not that up to date but you can look at the Android guidelines here to see how they work.... apples got to have some somewhere lol

UI design is more about knowing how to use filters and effects to make a pixel perfect interface. Coupled with some UX so you have an idea of how/what you want the user to experience the site/app.
It depends if you're looking at just a graphic maker or doing the whole sha-bang and being able to develop it into working apps.

I have heard UI design is actually a tough environment to get into because it is such a competitive world. I don't know much other than there was a time when I wanted to go full force into it. But if you guys find out anything else I would love to take a read over it!
and I believe it is mostly illustrator you use and I think you are suppose to make UI sheets with every UI component/interface design on it too.

Back