I need help choosing the best GPU upgrade for my PC

biju

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to upgrade the graphics card in my current PC, which I primarily use for photo & video editing. For my work, I use GIMP, Photoshop, Premiere Pro, and After Effects. Recently, I've noticed that my built-in Intel HD Graphics 4600 isn't as powerful as I'd like, especially when editing complex images and videos and playing them smoothly. My current specs are:

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)i7-4790 @ 3.60GHz
  • Memory: 16.0 GB DDR3
  • GPU: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
I'm open to various options, but I would ideally like to balance performance and value. I want a significant improvement over my current integrated graphics.

Thank you in advance for your guidance! With this upgrade, I'm excited to unlock the next level of creative power.

It's actually more RAm you need - most stuffy is processed through the RAM not the video card - weirdly enough.
If doing animations and/or playing high end games etc a high-graphics card would be required.

The GPU you have would be built in to the processor - so you can't upgrade it.

You've a lot going against you - your processor is end of life (EOL) it's from 2014 - it's near 10 years old and lacks the architecture required for newer softwrae.
You can upgrade to 32gb if the MotherBoard allows - the processor can take it.

RAM is old model DDR3 - DDR5 is newest - again you'd need to check your computer specs for type of RAM it needs and can take.

Unless your PC has a graphics card slot you can't add one. You might get an external one - but again - I don't personally think it will do much good.

I'd seriously consider upgrading your entire PC to a more modern version with an up-to-date processor - 32gb min (64gb if you can)
A video card would be good but you don't need a very high end one.

What's the budget?

It's actually more RAm you need - most stuffy is processed through the RAM not the video card - weirdly enough.
If doing animations and/or playing high end games etc a high-graphics card would be required.

The GPU you have would be built in to the processor - so you can't upgrade it.

You've a lot going against you - your processor is end of life (EOL) it's from 2014 - it's near 10 years old and lacks the architecture required for newer softwrae.
You can upgrade to 32gb if the MotherBoard allows - the processor can take it.

RAM is old model DDR3 - DDR5 is newest - again you'd need to check your computer specs for type of RAM it needs and can take.

Unless your PC has a graphics card slot you can't add one. You might get an external one - but again - I don't personally think it will do much good.

I'd seriously consider upgrading your entire PC to a more modern version with an up-to-date processor - 32gb min (64gb if you can)
A video card would be good but you don't need a very high end one.

What's the budget?
Thanks for the detailed and informative response! I appreciate you taking the time to explain everything so clearly.

However, I have a bit of a budget constraint, ideally looking to stay within $200-$300. While upgrading the entire PC would be amazing, it might not be feasible now.

Then just upgrade your RAM for now.
What's the spec of the computer - can you share your full details?

um... it's not just the gpu or the ram, that cpu is 10 generations old now and will be struggling with the demands that we put on it these days...

I found my 4790k with 32gb ram and gtx 1060 6gb was restrictive.

If you do want just a new gpu, just find the newest nvidia gpu you can find in your budget, you will find nvidia better due to cuda having better support.... although the cpu you have will bottleneck even a 1060 6gb based on my experience.

Yeh, I noted the CPU being old and restrictive towards today's software demands and it's architecture.

I'd say get a new computer. I don't think a video card will add anything.

They can't afford a new one
The CPU can take 32gb. So that would be my recommendation.

I don't really think much will make it much better - never mind a little.
It's just too old.

Then just upgrade your RAM for now.
What's the spec of the computer - can you share your full details?

Howdy! Apologies for the delayed response. The truth is that I was unwell. Below are the specifications of my computer running Windows 10:

Device name DESKTOP-14UT7C2
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

um... it's not just the gpu or the ram, that cpu is 10 generations old now and will be struggling with the demands that we put on it these days...

I found my 4790k with 32gb ram and gtx 1060 6gb was restrictive.

If you do want just a new gpu, just find the newest nvidia gpu you can find in your budget, you will find nvidia better due to cuda having better support.... although the cpu you have will bottleneck even a 1060 6gb based on my experience.
If you still recommend getting a new GPU within my budget, could you suggest some Nvidia options that might pair well with my current setup, even if it wouldn't be the most optimal pairing?

As above, you would basically be throwing away money you could be putting aside for a complete system overhaul.

As above, you would basically be throwing away money you could be putting aside for a complete system overhaul.
I understand your point about potentially wasting money on a temporary upgrade. I'm definitely weighing the short-term benefit against the long-term goal of a full overhaul. Thank you for your honest advice.

You just need more RAM - have absolutely ZERO idea why you're buying a graphics card.
I appreciate your suggestion about RAM, but my main concern right now is running Photoshop's latest features. My research suggests a GPU upgrade would be the most effective solution for that.

Back