I cannot seem to fix the 'scratch disks are full issue'

shazza

Please help! Have loads of space on my laptop, but this is a reoccurring issue that I can't find the answer to online.

THANK YOU!

I'm going to guess this is on windows but most of this will apply on os-x as well.

Check in the settings of (I assume) photoshop for the amount of space that is being allocated for scratch disk (I prefer a separate drive for my scratch disk but this is harder on a laptop).
Do you have a page file (not os-x), some programs like to have it on the main drive.

If they don't help, fill me in a little more about the hardware, ram, storage, OS, etc and the software you're using.

Hi Levi, thanks a MILLION for getting back to me so fast. I am using an older MacBook air. I have almost 8GB free overall.

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014)
Processer: 1.4 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Does this help

THANK YOU!!!

Hi Levi, thanks a MILLION for getting back to me so fast. I am using an older MacBook air. I have almost 8GB free overall.

Does this help

THANK YOU!!!
8GB is tiny....

You've basically got 2 problems, 4GB ram and only 8GB space available.... which in all honesty just isn't enough these days.

To put this into context (admittedly on windows pc and I do 3D too) I have a 200GB scratch disk and 32GB ram.... I wouldn't want to go less than half that with the way that adobe files can be quite memory intensive by the time you get into history etc. I've had issues with 16GB ram when I was working with multi layered 5000x5000 pixel renderings.

Honestly though there isn't really a long term fix for the issue so I'd suggest saving for a new laptop/desktop. To fix the issue you basically need more storage space and ram, you should (check your model first) be able to install a new pcie drive but the bigger issue is the lack of ram and you can't upgrade that in the macbook air.

Based on my own experience I would say that in general 'high end' from 5 years ago is usually deemed low to mid 'now' so if you can't physically upgrade the hardware you own, like with a laptop, you need to 'budget' for upgrades around that time.

What I'd suggest as possible fixes to tide you over (I'll assume a new laptop with more ram and ssd storage is out of the question right now)
  • Clean out all the junk on the ssd, ie move stuff to external storage (you should be backing stuff up anyway), delete unwanted stuff etc ... maybe go as far as a clean install to clear out all the little bits that get left behind with updates etc. This should be able to increase your scratch disk capacity but don't count on it being a lot of space gained.
  • You could swap out the ssd if it can be swapped out (check your laptop has a pcie drive, it's fairly easy to do if you follow instructions, then a reinstall)
  • Adjust the history levels in photoshop etc... less history levels should mean less memory usage and hopefully less usage of the scratch disk.

Does this help

THANK YOU!!!
Minimum requirement for photoshop is 8gb RAM. Recommende

Back