How'd they print that?

bigdave

Any thoughts on the print process used on this...
A2E597D0-56A8-46BE-BACC-024FCA9C7323-8833-00000CDC365EA29E.jpg

It was a run of about 100 tags (so prob not more that 25 SRA3 sheets) which rules out litho. There's no pressure marks on the card so not letter press. The ink doesn't look like its been through a digital press. Could it be a laser print?

Possible that it was screen print? It has the imperfections of a screen print. They could've had the big sheets, printed them using a sizeable screen then trimmed to suit?

It's probably a digital print through a Xerox 1000 or 700 or perhaps a Minolta then cut. Screen printing would be too expensive for such a short run. Laser digital such as the Xerox do have that shine to them. It's really only Indigo that doesn't. Don't rule out laser digital printing you get fantastic results from it.

It's something that Emma's been given by a couple she's doing the wedding stationery for. All they said was they designed it and gave it to a printer to produce and quite like the finish.

It actually looks like cut vinyl... there is a domestic cutter thingy called a Cricut (or something like that) that cuts out shapes / letters etc. I know a lot of the scrapbooking enthusiasts swear by them and I have seen hand made signs (with cut vinyl letters) made with lettering from one of them

Thats quite interesting that you can laser print onto that kind of material. I'm assuming there is a limit to the thickness / weight, more so than screen printing? I've seen quite chunky pulp board material that had a screen printed design on it which looked really nice. I wonder if something that think could be laser printed? Also I guess the material its self might not be suited to the type of print process.

Most commercial laser printers (Xerox 700/1000, Minolta, Oce, Canon etc) will 'officially' go up to 350gsm - but on a 'special' laser board which is less rigid. The later ones will print onto most papers and boards. I have put through a textured 350gsm linen finish, which had to be 'helped' through. That's why I say make friends with a local printer/printshop who are willing to be helpful.

Back