How is the recession affecting everyone?

Welcome to the world of self employment, that worry will never go away although you do get used to it, glad you are doing well :icon_thumbup:

thanks BH :) yeah i thought that might be the case haha :icon_lol:

I guess I should be used to it really, the majority of my family are self employed

Thought I would update this thread as I've had a really great last 3 months. As you may have read earlier in this thread I had a very panicky first couple of month's trading with no business coming in whatsoever!

Over the past few month's however I am finally seeing some progress. I am now overloaded with work and am finding now that people are starting to spend some cash again on their marketing efforts, what's everyone else's feeling on this?

One of my regular franchise magazines that I have been designing for the past 3 years has just been sold. I was battling against a designer willing to charge £10 less than my charge per page and I think I lost, but I'm not ready to sell my soul yet - my price is already on the low side as it is (although considered the 'average' price within the franchise), his price is verging on doing work for free.

All I would say is to be patient (if you can afford to!). As long as you have the talent the work should come.

The other key is that you have to be very tenacious and go out there and grab the work. It won't just come to you, even from old contacts. My work has all come from people I know or used to work with though, not any brand new business, as of yet.

It would be interesting to hear how other designers on here get brand new clients. Is it from the website, networking etc.

Recession

Its been a disasterous time. Been on the dole for over 12 months now.

I've had a few interviews, but haven't got anything out of it.

At a really very low ebb at the moment.:icon_crying:

Dave, don't despair, at least you know your not alone, I'm in the same boat as you. It is confidence eroding though isn't it?

I lost my part time role a couple of months ago forcing me into freelancing full time. I get regular work from a local agency but as far as trying to get new direct clients it's really really hard. I'm doing anything I can think of to market myself in the hope it pays off.

Confidence Eroding

Yes it definately is.

The job centre sent me to this seminar for professionals, and we had to do these excersises, standing up and telling the room about yourself etc. Somehow I got through that, though I really struggled with the confrontation thing, the guy I was paired with even said so. All in all it was a waste of time, everyone else was a sales exec etc.

I now live in the Commuter Belt around London, where apparently there is loads of work. mmmm yes...:icon_tongue_smilie:

As a printer who invested heavily about 4 years ago we are struggling with paying high overheads for staff and premises. A huge number of printers are going bust locally. We supply our local design agencies and other customers into London with extremely high quality and service but whether we will survive is somewhat doubtful. In the print trade it will be 'last man standing'.

Hopefully we will survive or else I shall be joining all the freelancers out there!

Back