How do you start a graphic design project???

Bigfootuk

How do people start a graphic design project?

If a brief came in from a client for a brochure for example how would you start the creative process?

I normally do research and a bit of brainstorming.

How do others do it please?
Do you just dive in or do you think about and plan as much as possible?

Planning is your best friend... always!

In the example given, we would always start with a consultation to fully understand what the client is trying to achieve.
We would then go away, do some research and put together a moodboard which is presented to the client to get a rough idea for style/tone/texture etc.
Quite often there would be certain restrictions due to pre-existing brand guidelines, but all is taken into consideration.
We then work with the client to put together a plan/map of what content is going to appear on each page and a rough word count.
The next stage would be to design the front cover, skeleton table of contents and 1 x double page spread. Once approved we are then ready to get into the meat of the work.

Where I have worked or work we have never used mood boards.
The marketing team gave us brief sheets with what images and text to put on which page.

Surely any project begins with the content. And the design brief.

How can you design anything without knowing what they want including along with any logos and imagery.

I get this all the time.

How much to design a 4 page brouchure?

When I ask what's involved I get the death stare!

So I just explain if it's just plain text it is 30 minutes. If it's 4 pages of infographics with intricate details and lots of illustrations, then it can take 2 hours a page, so it would be 8 hours.

Then I get a death stare again.

Back