How Can I Improve my Logo?

Danger

Hello,

I'm a web designer and programmer, and an amateur graphic designer. I've decided to start working on a browser-type game as a sort of hobby to help me learn more and have more fun with web design in my spare time.

The working title is 'Archipelago' and I'm thinking of an island type battle theme.

Here is a basic rough logo that I came up with as a starting point.

archipelago.jpg

Could anyone give me their opinion and maybe some advice on how to improve the logo?

Thank you,

Spider

Ok, Im not going to be too harsh, because at least you've come on here and asked for some advice.

But...

My advice, honestly would be to give up and leave it to someone who has a natural flair for design. The logo you've done shows no kind of visual aptitude at all. And that's a bad starting point for a designer. If you really want to do this, the first thing you need to do is learn to see. Learn about composition, colour, visual balance. And the best way, in my opinion, to do that is to draw. A lot. Go to art class, sketch, look, see, enjoy the visual. Don't try and design anything until you've got that sorted.

I appreciate you're not a designer and that's fine so maybe I'll give you some ideas..One idea would be to make the text fit the context 'battle', thicken it up, put some bullet holes in it, maybe even make it a wrecked half sinking ship. But the trick of a good designer is to do all that and give it that vibe without making it too illustrative. The problem with your logo is that its maybe too illustrative. Trim down the details. Draw a shape that resembles water and a palm tree. Logos don't necessarily need to be as obvious as the one you have made. Even so, your logo doesn't reflect to me the thought of 'Island Battle'.

Some good examples of logos which could help you with your ideas Logo templates from Template Monster for logo design

Thanks JMC designer, that's the kind of advice I was looking for - I was just trying to convey the 'Archipelago' idea and not the battle part of it, but your ideas sound great. It is too illustrative, thanks for the link I'll have a look at that. Maybe you could have a look when I've had another go and spent a bit more time on it, it was only a rough idea as I said but it's true that I am not a natural designer.

Thanks Spark for not being so harsh on me (?), although I have to say that 'give up' is not the best advice I've ever had. I'd love to study art but I don't have the time, but I will take your points on board and think more about colour, composition and balance.

Danger

Thanks JMC designer, that's the kind of advice I was looking for - I was just trying to convey the 'Archipelago' idea and not the battle part of it, but your ideas sound great. It is too illustrative, thanks for the link I'll have a look at that. Maybe you could have a look when I've had another go and spent a bit more time on it, it was only a rough idea as I said but it's true that I am not a natural designer.

Thanks Spark for not being so harsh on me (?), although I have to say that 'give up' is not the best advice I've ever had. I'd love to study art but I don't have the time, but I will take your points on board and think more about colour, composition and balance.

Danger

Spark didn't tell you to give up, in fact they gave you some useful advice. If you really want to produce something good it's worth making the time to study - which is essentially what you'll be doing if you look at the link supplied for inspiration. Or you could team up with someone else who is a natural designer to create your site? Could be a fun project.

Spark didn't tell you to give up, in fact they gave you some useful advice. If you really want to produce something good it's worth making the time to study - which is essentially what you'll be doing if you look at the link supplied for inspiration. Or you could team up with someone else who is a natural designer to create your site? Could be a fun project.

I wasn't making it up, it's there in plain text!

My advice, honestly would be to give up and leave it to someone who has a natural flair for design. The logo you've done shows no kind of visual aptitude at all. And that's a bad starting point for a designer.

Anyway, this is irrelevant. I may have come across differently, but I am genuinely grateful for all of the advice I have received. I will be spending a lot of my time studying various graphic design techniques anyway, and I would love if someone else would be willing to assist me in this project. Since I am currently working on this project on my own it would be difficult for me to give up and leave it to someone else (as much as I would love to :icon_lol:)

Thank you all,

Danger

Start by drawing on paper - however bad you are. And design it in one colour/black to begin with then you will have it so that it works wherever you may need to use it. . on pens, T-shirts web, paper, fax etc.

Im sorry this is going to sound harsh but here goes!

You can not Teach Creativity, you either have it or you don't. this is not an dated view but fact.
the brain works in two very different ways. the reason you are a good coder/developer is you brain works to solve by code and numbers and there is a place for everything and everything should be in that place.

A creative brain work in the direct opposite of that theory. you can, shape a creative brain but not teach it! and creativity can not be taught. so please don't jump on a photoshop tutorial website, it will be wasting your time and be decremental to you coding skills. you will end up with possibly a great bit of work with a poor logo!

It really makes me mad (not with you because you have said your not a designer) that some coders/developers call them selves designer and dont have an ounce of artistic creativity about them. Great coders but piss poor designers!

I would never dream of saying im a coder/developer as i have to much respect for the work they do. so please have some respect for us designers!

I will design you a log for free it it helps, because i really cant get started on yours :p
get in touch.

I wasn't making it up, it's there in plain text!

Anyway, this is irrelevant. I may have come across differently, but I am genuinely grateful for all of the advice I have received. I will be spending a lot of my time studying various graphic design techniques anyway, and I would love if someone else would be willing to assist me in this project. Since I am currently working on this project on my own it would be difficult for me to give up and leave it to someone else (as much as I would love to :icon_lol:)

Thank you all,

Danger

PS let go of the reigns, your holding your self back. im currently doing a my own website. i have designed it but a coder is doing that bit for me. and some of the idea's he has come up with i wouldn't have thought possible.

"Don't get a dog and bark yourself!"

Hey,

get some logo books from amazon and have a good look through them.

I think that you will find that the better logos are quite tightly incorporated.

A good example is an old live aid logo (google search) where the logo is both the shape of Africa and the shape of a guitar.

I think that you could try doing something like that with you logo possibly.

Thanks

Jason

Back