How badly do you think graphic design is undervalued?

Are there any good points to working as a full time Graphic Designer? What can you experienced people tell me? If you started off liking GD at the beginning of your job, why do people give up and leave this area of work?

I feel money and benefits are not always everything. It’s what you do from 9 to 5 that counts and you go home feeling reasonably happy.

I guess its just the love of the job.

Theres no better feeling for me than finishing a project, sitting back and thinking "F**K YEAH! I did that!"

thanks for that

hmmm sounds like the same feeling you get in any other job when you've finish a project.

I will always love creating designs, colours and funky pictures but working in this industry is too much for me. I don't like the stiff competition and pickyness.

The design industry is a ruthless place! I think its worse for younger designers trying to gain that all important experience, as everyone from the client through to your peers will happily see you chewed up and spat out if it means they get what they want. Im only 27 but already Ive seen so many highly tallented designers turn their back on the design industry for this very reason.

Yes it's a shame, and it shouldn't matter how old you are. Age discrimination. There is far too much wasted talent out there and companies are not giving them the chance they deserve. Some of the labels/ tags I see everywhere are not rocket science to design.

I think the stifeld design thats churned out is often down to a poorly structured chain of command and useless communication.

For example the company I work for is awful for it as everything is sales led! We as designers only get a sales persons interpretation of what the client wants, so as you can imagine the right questions never get asked. Then the proof reader (who thinks she's Creative Director) adds her thoughts into the process and finally the Sales Director (fancies himself as a creative) decides what he thinks should go into the finished job. So the end product is often just a collection of ideas from people who don't know what they're talking about! I sometimes wonder if it would be easier to just buy the sales reps a copy of Microsoft Publisher & I'll go to the pub.

I think the stifeld design thats churned out is often down to a poorly structured chain of command and useless communication.

For example the company I work for is awful for it as everything is sales led! We as designers only get a sales persons interpretation of what the client wants, so as you can imagine the right questions never get asked. Then the proof reader (who thinks she's Creative Director) adds her thoughts into the process and finally the Sales Director (fancies himself as a creative) decides what he thinks should go into the finished job. So the end product is often just a collection of ideas from people who don't know what they're talking about! I sometimes wonder if it would be easier to just buy the sales reps a copy of Microsoft Publisher & I'll go to the pub.

Ha!! I think you've just hit the nail on the head mate. I'll join you in the pub too! :icon_biggrin:

Not just me then... add in to that customers who think they are designers. The amount of people who are willing to pay good money for your services, but then design it themselves and completely ignore everything you're telling them.

In the last three years I've probably only got 3 finished jobs that I'd be happy to put in my portfolio due to other people getting involved and turning it in to a pile of rubbish.

Ive just experinced a prime example of being undervalued.

Whilst on the sales floor discussing an account with a sales rep I overheard a conversation where another rep was asking one of the sales team leaders for some help. The problem she has is that a customer has called in saying they've seen on our website that we offer flyer design and printing. She wasn't sure what to do as the company director thinks it easier to out source this sort of stuff and then add his profit but he's on holiday.

I piped up and offered to take the job on freelance and pay a % of the profit to the company as a finders fee. When I said I'd charge £25p/h for the job it was met by a wall of laughter!

Morons!!

Back