Help with the design of a logo please!

FutureTec

Hi all,
Recently started a company and looking for someone to help design a company logo.
Small IT company based in the UK.
If you could help please let me know.
Thanks R

You don't need a logo for any of these. All you need is the name of the business.

Have the name and a tagline and use a bit of CSS to make them look pretty. Logos (in many cases) are overrated. Look at this forum - even though it's all about graphic design the logo is really just words.

I think design in general is over rated.

It's not like it's life or death or anything.

Just shapes words and different colours. ;)

You don't need a logo for any of these. All you need is the name of the business.

Have the name and a tagline and use a bit of CSS to make them look pretty. Logos (in many cases) are overrated. Look at this forum - even though it's all about graphic design the logo is really just words.
Why do you persist in putting off people from wanting a logo? It doesn't have to elaborate or clever or expensively designed, or even include a mark or emblem, which I think is what you mean ( a company's name is
still their 'logo), but certain companies might need to develop their 'brand' and so need a recognisable image. Apart from anything else, you're putting us out of work!

Why do you persist in putting off people from wanting a logo? It doesn't have to elaborate or clever or expensively designed, or even include a mark or emblem, which I think is what you mean ( a company's name is
still their 'logo), but certain companies might need to develop their 'brand' and so need a recognisable image. Apart from anything else, you're putting us out of work!
I agree. You still need a designer to do the work, what you don’t need is the icon, badge or emblem that many feel is necessary.

Been talking to people. Most don't care if you have a graphical logo or not. What they want to know is the name of the business and details of what they do.

So all you really need is just that on your website, business cards, clothing, posters etc. Where a designer can help is choosing the right font, colours, kerning etc. But if you just had 'Future Tec' in 30pt black Arial on your site nobody would worry.

Been talking to people. Most don't care if you have a graphical logo or not. What they want to know is the name of the business and details of what they do.

So all you really need is just that on your website, business cards, clothing, posters etc. Where a designer can help is choosing the right font, colours, kerning etc. But if you just had 'Future Tec' in 30pt black Arial on your site nobody would worry.
Then put that logo alongside 10 of their competitors in their area that have smart, professional-looking icons and ask those same people which they would contact and see what they say.

Not a lot. I’ve done a lot of testing on this and the logo is (usually) the least important element on the page.

Do some eyetracking tests on a website and look how people use a website.

Maybe the example I gave was a bit extreme but in general a simple text header is sufficient. Try some split tests and see what happens with different configurations.

Yes, you continually focus on websites and mobile phones etc, but logos are still used on many other things you know - letterheads, advertising, brochures, literature
vehicle livery, signage, etc etc.

Yes they are and just like on a website people won't even recall the logo. They may remember the name of the business but not an associated symbol.

They may remember the name of the business but not an associated symbol.
Not sure where you're getting this info from because it's pretty inaccurate, plenty of people will remember an iconic logo before or in conjunction with the brand name. Show people the mcdonalds M, the nike swoosh, the pepsi circle, the vw or mercedes circles, let alone things like rolls royce angel..

Then there's entire games built around things like guessing company logos

Not sure where you're getting this info from because it's pretty inaccurate, plenty of people will remember an iconic logo before or in conjunction with the brand name. Show people the mcdonalds M, the nike swoosh, the pepsi circle, the vw or mercedes circles, let alone things like rolls royce angel..
Those are established brands who have spent zillions on marketing.

Logos like those develop over time, none of them were there when they started out. But were aren't talking about a big brand here, we are talking about a small business. If they really want a logo that's fine. But it's not necessary. They might well be better off waiting until they are established and have found their niche and then getting a logo developed.

Logos like those develop over time, none of them were there when they started out. But were aren't talking about a big brand here, we are talking about a small business. If they really want a logo that's fine. But it's not necessary. They might well be better off waiting until they are established and have found their niche and then getting a logo developed.
There are plenty of relatively new companies that people recognise too, you know like facebook, instagram, google etc etc

Just because you feel a company doesn't need a logo doesn't mean a logo isn't useful in the right circumstances.

Based on what the OP has posted a logo could be useful for brand awareness seeing as it's going on the uniform and potentially on vehicles etc.

Holy crap - how did I miss this thread. Next time a query isn't answered directly I'm deleting the posts.

Facebook was a small business once - a niche market of college students.
Zuckerberg didn't spend a lot of time developing his logo - he put an f on a blue background.

Google didn't spend a lot of time either, and they started out small - in fact all businesses do start small. It was night before launch before they realised they didn't have a logo, picked some fonts and some colours, and didn't like the cap G so they changed that to a different font.

Logos don't have to be well thought out, don't have to be expensive, don't have to be anything other a wordmark. But people recognise they need it as it gives them a professional presence.

@fisicx Please stop derailing threads - a lot of the time you have very reasonable and insightful thoughts from a non-design background. But it has to stop at ill-advisement in an area you are not an expert.

Thanks
Hank

Back