Help with pricing for new client

Sally

Hello.

First timer here. I'm currently starting my freelancer journey after being made redundant in June. It's been a bit of a rocky start, but I've just had a job come in from a prospective client that has a quick turn around. I've got over 15 years experience, so have done my fair share of reports and know how they can sometimes morph into a monster. They want a price ASAP as this is due to start next week.

Currently they have 50 pages of copy. Due by 4th September. The deliverables will be the following:
  • Full report design (including all graphs and tables)
  • Design of 3 page Executive Summary (mirroring report design)
  • Design of 1 infographic for use across social media channels (Twitter, FB, LI)
  • Design of 5 tiles/graphics with key findings for use across social media channels (Twitter, FB, LI)
  • Design of 1 interchangeable quote card for use across social media channels and for inputting quotes from our partners (Twitter, FB, LI)
They're a not for profit rather than a corporate. I've been working my day rate as £250. Would you go for page or day rate for something like this? I don't have any other work on but don't want to sell myself too short.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Even a non profit will have a budget for marketing etc and ultimately you have bills to pay.

I'd quote the same as I always do, at the end of the day they'll either accept it or they won't. Not to mention if I was to lower my prices I'd essentially be devaluing my services... in fact on rush jobs I'd be charging extra.
Personally I quote for the job when I quote.

Even a non profit will have a budget for marketing etc and ultimately you have bills to pay.

I'd quote the same as I always do, at the end of the day they'll either accept it or they won't. Not to mention if I was to lower my prices I'd essentially be devaluing my services... in fact on rush jobs I'd be charging extra.
Personally I quote for the job when I quote.

That's a fair bit to do in two weeks isn't it? So it is quite a rush job! You're totally right about devaluing our services. I think people think because a lot of designers are out of work that they can 'get a deal'. Would you mind me asking as a rough figure what you'd charge for the deliverables above? Obviously a lot of information like the amount of graphs and tables is missing! :unsure:

That's a fair bit to do in two weeks isn't it? So it is quite a rush job! You're totally right about devaluing our services. I think people think because a lot of designers are out of work that they can 'get a deal'. Would you mind me asking as a rough figure what you'd charge for the deliverables above? Obviously a lot of information like the amount of graphs and tables is missing! :unsure:
I'm 3d design orientated so I'm not really best suited to quoting on that but imo that's more than 2 weeks work at 8-10 hours per day.

You likely have more experience in the amount of time you'll take for this so just do what you'd normally do when working out an estimate of how many hours it would take you to do. I'd then divide that by the number of days (allow one to two days for them to get back to you/pay you your '30%' up front and maybe another day for any delays they might throw in for 'changes') you have left to see how many hours a day you're going to be doing to get it done, hell after you do that you might not even think it's viable to do in the time frame.

You say day rate is '£250', remember that doesn't mean for 24 hours work :)

I'm 3d design orientated so I'm not really best suited to quoting on that but imo that's more than 2 weeks work at 8-10 hours per day.

You likely have more experience in the amount of time you'll take for this so just do what you'd normally do when working out an estimate of how many hours it would take you to do. I'd then divide that by the number of days (allow one to two days for them to get back to you/pay you your '30%' up front and maybe another day for any delays they might throw in for 'changes') you have left to see how many hours a day you're going to be doing to get it done, hell after you do that you might not even think it's viable to do in the time frame.

You say day rate is '£250', remember that doesn't mean for 24 hours work :)
:LOL: Indeed! The more I look at it, the worse the timescales appear. Thanks for your input(y)(y)

:LOL: Indeed! The more I look at it, the worse the timescales appear. Thanks for your input(y)(y)
Maybe have a chat with them and talk about your concerns with the deadline, maybe ask if they can have a 'staggered' delivery of the items etc. Sometimes honesty is better than trying to 'hit a deadline' and producing rubbish work

Thank you again for your advice. I’m contacting them this morning and voicing my concerns with the deadline.

You should charge extra amount if you're working extra hours or you can charge according to number of hours you're giving on a particular project.

Hi Sally,
It's true that in the beginning phase of freelancing job, one doesn't know exactly what to quote for the price and deadline. It is when you start working, and step by step complete the task, you come by the real price and delivery time. I myself faced such moments when feeling inconvenience with deciding budget and deadline. But after completing few projects, you gain idea of the time spent on work and decide the budget independently.
In the present case I see the bulk work , don't hesitate to charge high. It will take your lot of time and stamina for the completion. Also time is limited, so for a quick and rushy job charge a little high.

Back