Help needed for large print

HecticDesigns

Hey guys,

I'm designing a board for a client that is 1750mm x 880mm at 300DPI.. as you can imagine, this is a massive file. Without any layers, it comes out at just over 800MB and photoshop runs very slowly with it.

I was wondering if there was any sort of trick to design at a smaller size, but still be able to be printed at that size and quality? It's a nightmare having to work at this size.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben

First question...what is the purpose of the board? If it is being printed then do you know how/who?
As this size will fall into 'large format' category you'll find that the resolution will only need to be 120 or 150 dpi at 100% or quarter size at 300dpi.

Best advice is to contact your printer and ask them how they want it supplied and they should give you similar info to that above.

300dpi at 100% is really only needed for quality magazines or items that are held/read in your hands. Large boards/posters etc. are generally viewed from further away and therefore can get away for a lower resolution.

Hey Paul,

Many thanks for the quick reply.

Basically it's a board to go across the front of a receptionist's desk.. it's basically a montage of images.

I'm afraid I have none of that information, as I've basically been sub-contracted for the work, so I'm not in direct contact with the overall client. Is that a major issue?

What size/settings do you suggest for this?

Thanks again!

I would advise you to find out who will be producing the panel. Presumably you'll be passing the artwork on to someone and they could find this info out? It is pretty important.

You may find someone on here may offer their advice from a print point of view. It does all depend on what the printer recommends.

That's why you use Quark/InDesign/Illustrator/Corel.
The files are linked to the file so the working file is very small but when printed it draws on resources.
Photoshop is not the way to go.

I have to work in Photoshop, as the board is pretty much just photo montage.. I got in touch with the printer and they said to do it 100DPI scaled to a quarter of the size.. does that make sense?

I would generally agree with image based print works being 'assembled' in Quark or similar, but the OP's description of their project being a 'montage' may well mean that Photoshop effects/layering are involved and therefore necessitate it being done in Photoshop.

:)

Just think how much faster it will be when you can punch in 150dpi into the resolution box rather than 300dpi!

I was only agreeing to the nature of what the printer had told Hectic. I wouldn't comment on whether the specifics were in fact correct and would hope that the printer was providing the correct info.

I have had experience of 300dpi at 25%, 100dpi at 100%, 120dpi at 50% and anywhere in between!

Hectic's info would in fact be quite low in terms of final resolution - perhaps another call to the printer?

Then let us know!

:)

Yep definitely another call required I'd say. I don't do loads of large format but even if I compare to pop-up banners (800x200), my regular printer asks for 50% size at 300dpi to finish at 150dpi which is fair enough for large stuff.

As a general rule of thumb start by thinking about the final viewing distance. If something is being viewed close up and you care about the appearance of photographic detail of the image you need something close to 200ppi at your final output size. You can make that 800ppi at 25% or just work at full size - file size would be the same.

So yes - if you want a great big graphic wall covered in true photographic quality imagery - your file would be enormous. (In those circumstances as someone has already said, work your layout in Illustrator or Indesign - and only create the enormous final image once the work is done.)

BUT be sure you're not over doing the resolution. A reception desk isn't going to be viewed like a photo album. 150ppi at final size will be more than enough, in fact I might drop to 100ppi. Key to that is what res your starting components are anyway - no point in increasing resolutions.

This article discusses what resolutions are needed for different size prints - depending on their use and typical viewing distance. What resolution should my artwork be? | Hudson

I hope that helps

All the best
Craig

Back