Help!!! How do i cost for a brochure design

mattjeff345

Hi,

I hope someone here can help me as I have been racking my brains with this and not getting far. I have been an in-house designer for 6 years and over the last couple of years I have been doing freelance work on the side which is now increasing quite a bit. One of my regular clients has asked me to quote on a brochure job, spec below:

4pp cover - Oversized A5 landscape plus pocket on inside back cover to take A5 landscape inserts

16pp text section - Oversized A5 landscape

I usually charge £20 an hour but he wants a flat rate. I have had a look around and seen some people say to charge for 1-2 hours per page so i was thinking of charging 1.5 per page (£600) Does this sound cheap, fine or expensive.

Also what should i do when it comes to revisions as he is the sort of client i would expect to come back several times with changes?

thank you in advance for any help and advice you can give me

Hi there,

I'll get the easiest part out the way first. Regarding revisions, you can simply charge your hourly rate for that.

As for everything else, there isn't really an answer, your costs are down to you. How much you think your worth, how high of a quality you feel you can produce for this particular brochure, but arguably most importantly; how long you think it will take you to do. Charging per page is not a good idea in my opinion as some pages may take longer to design than others. To get an idea for a minimum charge you simply have to work out for yourself realistically how long you think it will take you to complete and times that by your rate (£20?) + add on a bit extra as a kind of safety net for yourself. Then you should have an idea whether £600 is a reasonable fee for you to charge.

Thank you for your replies. The business is a reasonable size. As far as revisions go I was thinking to include 2 or 3 revisions in the £600 price and then charging £20 an hour for anything on top. Also what constitutes a revision. Is it just each time they make a Batch of changes or is it if they want to change the design completely from the original I produced for them.how can I make sure they don't keep moving the goal posts without being paid extra for it. Thanks again

Thank you for your replies. The business is a reasonable size. As far as revisions go I was thinking to include 2 or 3 revisions in the £600 price and then charging £20 an hour for anything on top. Also what constitutes a revision. Is it just each time they make a Batch of changes or is it if they want to change the design completely from the original I produced for them.how can I make sure they don't keep moving the goal posts without being paid extra for it. Thanks again

I charge out at 1.5 hours per page for brochure design. They always creep up on you. Sometimes you'll get through a page in 30minutes, other times, a page will take 3 hours. So Averaging it out at 1.5 hours works for me.

You want to make sure that you only include 2 or 3 revisions in TOTAL. Not per page. Otherwise you could end up changing them forever and ever, for free.

I have revisions as something quite substantial. So, resetting a whole paragraph or page layout. Changing the colour slightly or whatever, knocking a bit of alignment about, I don't really treat that as a revision. It's quite common sense when you get into it :) Good luck!

Agree with Tony, 1.5 hrs per page is what i charge and add my hr rate on top of changes. Some pages take longer than others but it will level itself out.

Back