Hello new person here looking for advice

Ratrace86

Hi i'm Laurence. 27.

I'm looking for some feedback and advice from some people with a graphic design background.

I run a Retro/Vintage clothing shop in Kent which has been open for 5 years.
I am looking to re-name and brand my shop in the coming months and create a new logo design for the shop front, carrier bags, flyers/advertising, Facebook etc.

The logo i have in mind would be a very decorative vintage/retro/old fashioned crest or shield shaped logo
For carrier bags and business cards etc. .. BUT the sign above shop would be more of a landscape logo with retro typeface.

My question is: ....( before i approach a designer.)

AM I RIGHT IN THINKING I SHOULD HAVE TWO DESIGNS MADE?
(One simple design for shop front with name and 'who we are' and a second decorative portrait style logo for carrier bags, business cards etc)
WOULD THIS BE THE CORRECT THING TO DO HAVING TWO DIFFERENT LOGOS?
SHOULD I STICK TO JUST ONE LOGO DESIGN FOR EVERYTHING?

Any advice on creating a logo and branding for my shop would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks for reading
Merry christmas
Laurence

I would have the primary logo created as the 'vintage badge' , plenty of those around (very popular 2012/13) and then just use the same typeface to have the landscape sign done with just the name of the shop.

That way you could use the badge and then just have the name along side.

Hi Laurance,

You really want one logo that's flexible enough to be used in many different ways. If it's partially text based you can do lots with it in terms of layout, and include your logo 'mark' within the composition. But obviously your logo is what people associate with your business, so you don't want radically different styles.

Back