Grey outline appears around Inserted Jpegs but in print only

nellipope

Hi,

I have recently been having issues with some printed literature. Thin grey borders appearing around jpegs.

This issue appears only in PRINT not on screen or under any preview, neither does it happen with any other print work I have ever created, and seems to only occur with this particular printer.

So a brief back story, I have been commission to create a series of adverts for a local magazine (display ads, colour, glossy etc). The Adverts are more like editorials with text and images inserted, the artwork is put together in InDesign and a Press Ready PDF created. I have used exactly the same process for previous magazine layout work, brochure or print work without any issue in the past, so the only difference is the printer and any process they may be using to set the magazine's pages?

I would like to sort this frustrating issue out for the next month's issue, can anyone cast any light on it. The magazine isn't the most 'enlightened' technically, so the balls really in my court.

PS There are no hidden borders or background colours.

Thanks

First thoughts as it's a specific printer is head alignment on the printer maybe.

Does it also happen if the picture has a white background?

Hi Levi,

Yes it does, although it also happened on a previous advert which had a white outline around it (a grey outline appeared around the white outline).

I cannot fathom it out. I have a sneaking suspicion they are editing the advert in some way. For instance one advert a few months ago, was a full page, full bleed was specified and trim marks requested, but when it ws printed they had not printed full bleed and edited out the trim marks.

I've attached a photo of the advert in print to illustrate the grey lines.

I just need to address the issue for the next print run.

IMG_3847.jpg

what program is it, some programs have a setting which puts a border round images automatically

Oh and I thought you meant printer as in 'home printer' not company...

The artwork is prepared in InDesign CC and a Press ready PDF created from this.

I’ve used the same process for a variety of professional printers, I’ve never had this issue.

The file is sent to the magazine as a press ready PDF.

Any ideas?

Firstly, I hate InDesign naming of PDF presets- they are for the most part only a starting guide - I hate the way they are named "Press Ready" as there are 100's types of printing presses, RIPs, printing methods etc.
You should have certainly gotten a .joboptions file from your printers, this would be a PDF preset that is compatible with your printers.

Secondly - really do ensure that these lines are not around the image.
Another reason could be that the image frame is filled with a gray, and your photo is shy of filling the frame by about 2px, make sure the image is filling the frame all the way, and that there is no Fill colour on the frame.

Thirdly - if the gray lines are really not in the image, or in the filled frame (or perhaps a small stroke on the frame) - then this would be the printers fault and they need to reprint it.

Thanks Hank

I've just been back to look over the document, there's no fill in the image frame or grey outline.

Sadly the magazine is one of those local rags, where they apply drop shadow to Comic sans headings and any adverts they produce in house feature pixelated logos lifted from websites. ;-)

They certainly tampered with the previous advert I set as they removed the trim marks intended for a full bleed advert, which sadly didn't make it as full bleed.

I fear a joboptions file might be asking too much.

IS there any process I can use to preflight this document? For instance, printing it to a deskjet first? I some kind of proof it's not my settings.

Thanks again Hank,

My second guess is that it's some sort of "flattening effect" causing the grey frame around images.

Press preset in the PDF export automatically is set to Acrobat 5.0 and above - which supports live transparency.

If your advert is placed into a publication - and they have used some low resolution flattening - or set it as Acrobat 4.0 when exporting their PDF - then it's likely your advert was flattened.

This can cause unusual effects especially where spot colours are interacting with a page/spread along with transparency.

This is a quick synopsis of steps to try
https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/thin-white-dark-lines-stitching.html

If you supplied a PDF that does not show the dark line around the image - then that's the way it should have been printed.

Hank,

Thankyou very much.

That makes sense in this scenario.

Thankyou for your time Hank, I think i'm going to have to have a chat with the publication.

Thanks again

Back