Graphic tablet

Emmad

I have been looking at a Wacom Intuos tablet for some graphic design. I am not a graphic designer but would like to do a small bit at home part time, for deigning t-shirts, greeting cards etc. I like that I can place an image on the tablet and trace over it and it appears on my laptop. However, are there apps for Android tablets or iPads that perform the exact same function? I have a full Adobe package on my laptop. So would it be better to buy a Wacom Intuos tablet or similar or better to buy an iPad or Android tablet? Also looking to get a Cricut, so which would be better to link to that? Thanks :)

When I first got a Wacom I expected to be putting the image on the tablet and drawing over it to get the image traced and digitised but I found that wasn't the best way to work.

It's MUCH better and easier to scan the image in and then work over it an another layer on screen in either Illustrator or Photoshop.

I've found the Wacom Bamboo/Intuos to be a fantastic tool and great value for money although they can take a bit of getting used to using but well worth the persistence.
I also had a go on an iPad using the Apple Pencil and found these were brilliant to use and much more like using a sketchbook.

I'm not sure but I think the Cricut Air works via an internet based app where you upload your image (either raster or vector) and then output it to the Cricut so I'd imagine a tablet would work too but couldn't say for certain.

Be aware that the cheaper Circuit's work from 'cassettes' that have pre made clip art on them and you can't upload your own images.

e Wacom Bamboo/Intuos to
When I first got a Wacom I expected to be putting the image on the tablet and drawing over it to get the image traced and digitised but I found that wasn't the best way to work.

It's MUCH better and easier to scan the image in and then work over it an another layer on screen in either Illustrator or Photoshop.

I've found the Wacom Bamboo/Intuos to be a fantastic tool and great value for money although they can take a bit of getting used to using but well worth the persistence.
I also had a go on an iPad using the Apple Pencil and found these were brilliant to use and much more like using a sketchbook.

I'm not sure but I think the Cricut Air works via an internet based app where you upload your image (either raster or vector) and then output it to the Cricut so I'd imagine a tablet would work too but couldn't say for certain.

Be aware that the cheaper Circuit's work from 'cassettes' that have pre made clip art on them and you can't upload your own images.

Thank you for the info. So does the iPad work in a similar way that you can scan the image in like the Wacom or is everything drawn freehand?

Cricut will be something further down the line, I have not done much research on them yet.

Thank you for the info. So does the iPad work in a similar way that you can scan the image in like the Wacom or is everything drawn freehand?

Cricut will be something further down the line, I have not done much research on them yet.

I'd imagine so.

You can connect an iPad or tablet to a scanner via wifi and do it that way or just use the camera to be lazy. ;)

The thing with tablets is the software that's available to them.
It's not like you can just use Adobe CC like on your laptop.

I do know that Affinity Designer is available in it full form on iPad and it only costs around £20.

I'd imagine so.

You can connect an iPad or tablet to a scanner via wifi and do it that way or just use the camera to be lazy. ;)

The thing with tablets is the software that's available to them.
It's not like you can just use Adobe CC like on your laptop.

I do know that Affinity Designer is available in it full form on iPad and it only costs around £20.

Ok so I might be better getting a Wacom or something similar?

I'd go with a Wacom as they're pretty cheap for what they are and Wacom tends to lead the way with drawing tablets.
It'll link to your laptop so it's not like you're going to the expense of a new iPad and you know your laptop is up to the job.

I used to have a very large Intuos which was way too big as it was not portable and I had to reach over it to my keyboard.
The smaller Bamboo or newer Intuos are about the right size at a bit bigger than A5 and I much preferred that.

Back