Getting your foot in!!

sarah_a

Hey,

So I am in my last year of university and am looking for work within my area. I have
looked around and it seems really hard to get your foot in, I get a lot of emails back
from studios saying they have no vacant space for a new designer within their studio.

So what do we need to do to get in?

How hard is it to get into a job?

Is anyone else having the same problem?

Sarah

I should imagine it is very difficult, especially in the current climate, the market must be saturated with designers and more and more are studying Graphic Design.

Have you ever thought about going freelance? Some of the guys n gals on here have and do really well out of it, earning I am sure much more than if they worked for somebody else, along with the added benefits of being self employed.

Take a look here: Freelance Designer Spotlight: - UK Graphic Design Forums | UK Website Design Forums
...especially at question 21, most say they would never go back to being employed.

Personally if I was in your situation over the next year I would be having a website developed, build up my portfolio by doing a few freelance jobs at a competitive price and just go for it.

It all depends how good you are and what you want from your career really.

Back